Choosing a Transformer

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fohom

Hi guys,
For the diy of a collins limiter 26j, I looking for a transformer which can adapt because I can’t find a 600-60k / 1:10 transformer.
How can I know which transformer I can replace with?
what calculation I need to do for it?

if the response is way to long, do you know a book/website where I can find out about this. (In French should be way better :p)

thanks

Attachments

• Collins_356E-1.pdf
    83.4 KB · Views: 13
You should be able to find one. A quick search on ebay for "60k transformer" or "50k transformer" immediately turned up two. Of course it must have a split secondary or center tap. There's one with a title of "600:50K Permalloy Audio Boosting" that's only ~$25 USD. I'm not a tube guy so maybe that one is a little too small. The thing about tube circuits is that the voltages are higher which necessitates higher Z and just bigger transformers and so good ones are expensive. Even the non-vintage ones are not cheap.

A few vintage ones...
UTC 0-2, P-2, A-10, A-11, HA-100, LS-10
Triad: A-10J, A-11J, A-12J,
Stancor: WF-20, WF-21

And a remake: UT10 Transformer - Tab-Funkenwerk

*not saying they'd be good choices for a 26j, as I've no idea about that. Just saying they exist.

Last edited:
@Bo Deadly i know I could find some of them but I didn’t if I need the exact same values.
and if I don’t need the same values, I just want to know why but I don’t know how I can make the calculations.

anyway thank you, now I know I m going the right direction.

@eskimo Perfect!! I have docs to find.
did you use some transformers on old project??

Latest posts

Back