Choosing the correct coupling capacitor

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are these the Vishay

They are different opamps than the original me. Are these the Vishay MLCC that you mentioned?View attachment 94099
Are these the Vishay

They are different opamps than the original me. Are these the Vishay MLCC that you mentioned?View attachment 94099
A 0.047uF seems too small to be a decoupling cap. In any case, why do you want to replace them? the main problem are electrolytics, not poly caps, those should be fine. Replacing very old electrolytics is fine, but polys, you need to have a very good reason to do it

A 0.047uF seems too small to be a decoupling cap. In any case, why do you want to replace them? the main problem are electrolytics, not poly caps, those should be fine. Replacing very old electrolytics is fine, but polys, you need to have a very good reason to do it have more channels
Sorry I didn’t explain properly. I have more channels that I want to mod. I’ve sent a few channels to two different places to be modded. I bought 3 channels already modded by one of these places. This guy is retiring this month and only agreed to do a few of my channels and the other place is booked up for over a year and agreed to do a few of my channels, but also said I could do copy their mod if I could run a soldering iron. I’ve worn both out with questions and kinda feel bad bothering them at this point. I’m just trying to fully understand the do’s and don’ts of the whole “acceptable value substitutions” and “when to use what type” thing. I’ve spent countless hours trying to read/learn on my own and the supply shortages make it hard because I haven’t grasped the concept of and I’m not certain on what other brands are reliable. Im also worried that I’ll be waiting for months on some of these components and time is something I don’t have a lot of for this journey. Don’t really want to get too deep into why but but I can just say it’s not just another ordinary hobby thing for me. Hope this makes sense. These channels strips are all analog mixer audio strips ran by linear psu. Again, I greatly appreciate your info!

Sorry I didn’t explain properly. I have more channels that I want to mod. I’ve sent a few channels to two different places to be modded. I bought 3 channels already modded by one of these places. This guy is retiring this month and only agreed to do a few of my channels and the other place is booked up for over a year and agreed to do a few of my channels, but also said I could do copy their mod if I could run a soldering iron. I’ve worn both out with questions and kinda feel bad bothering them at this point. I’m just trying to fully understand the do’s and don’ts of the whole “acceptable value substitutions” and “when to use what type” thing. I’ve spent countless hours trying to read/learn on my own and the supply shortages make it hard because I haven’t grasped the concept of and I’m not certain on what other brands are reliable. Im also worried that I’ll be waiting for months on some of these components and time is something I don’t have a lot of for this journey. Don’t really want to get too deep into why but but I can just say it’s not just another ordinary hobby thing for me. Hope this makes sense. These channels strips are all analog mixer audio strips ran by linear psu. Again, I greatly appreciate your info!
There’s one that’s 0.001

1652701313431.jpeg

Maybe some of the modding is similar to all the Jim Williams stuff that was all the rage in the past?
MLCC/c0g caps, the little yellow ones , could be across the op amp supply rails and maybe another to ground, the small Wima .01 caps could be paralleled with the coupling electros....etc...
i.e. the rabbit hole

I’m not looking to get in over my head and go down the rabbit hole! This country boy knows his limitations! 🤣 I wasn’t going to use his name and didn’t want to get too deep as to “out” his designs, out of respect. I just wanted make sure I was buying the right things. He’s kinda of a short and to the point guy but I don’t think there’s any doubt of his brilliance at this point, but he said he’s done taking on new clients this month. Like said before, I’d like to have the right parts on hand so I can add a few extra modded channels if I need them and have extras in case of failures. I was going to send more channels off but both places couldn’t take in that many at this time and my wife’s about to make me move into the studio if I spend much more. I’ve bought top of the line gear up to this point. I didn’t want a digital or cheap China crap console, and the big 5 new ones are out of my price range so it lead me to the soundcrafts. I have to say, this 600 series is really a beautiful sounding mixer without any mods but my very small control room has me limited to space. The delta dlx I found was out of a church, was cheap, was in driving distance, will fit perfectly, and hopefully with these mods will have the lower noise floor/eq varieties that I’m looking for. I think maybe it’s best if I just ask them both if they’d provide me the list of components they’re using so I know I have the right parts on hand. I just really feel bad because I’ve called them so many times already.

What exactly are you modding or what is the improvement with this mod? are you changing the value or just the capacitor? if the latter, it seems useless to me....

What exactly are you modding or what is the improvement with this mod? are you changing the value or just the capacitor? if the latter, it seems useless to me....
The overall mods are to mainly to lower the noise floor/give more headroom, enhance eq sound, “give more punch”, from what I gathered. Supposed to make the console super quite. I’ve spoke with dozens of people that have had these done and every person said it’s a significant improvement. I guess I’ll know in a few months. Thanks

An interesting variety of themes going on in this thread. Replacing caps (non polarised film types etc, as Doug self presented distortion graphs for different types and aC signal levels will mean that If you 'improve' something 9an EQ perhaps by using polypropylene you risk removing the original character of the gear. If this new 'cleanliness is what you want to achieve then good. The 'val;ue' of vintage (often Neve) gear is that they, at this age, are all half cooked and nothing is what it was when first manufactured 40 years or so ago. the offset on bipolar op amps (NE553X etc) SHOULD be made predictble by circuit design so that the orientation of electrolytics can be 'predicted'. SSL use a cunning scheme with pairs of back to back electrolytics with a high balue resistor to a supply rail to 'bias them correctly with a few hundred millivolts. There are other ways to achieve this.
regarding using 'large' coupling caps between stages This can help keep overall circuit noise down because the 'input' of an amplifier stage can be prsented with a low impedance SOURCE.
as ever there are many 'reasons' for chosing vertain capacitor types andvalues whether for 'audio design' or because the company accountant spotted that bulk buying of a few values of capacitor saves money. wHY things were designed as they were decades ago may never be known.
using a 10uf 25 volt electrolytic connected acros a 240 volt AC mains supply creates a very satisfying pop/bang and a green/purple flame for a few seconds ((allegedly). As demonstrated to me by others in Wooton Basset on an otherwise boring afternoon 40 years ago.

The overall mods are to mainly to lower the noise floor/give more headroom, enhance eq sound, “give more punch”, from what I gathered. Supposed to make the console super quite. I’ve spoke with dozens of people that have had these done and every person said it’s a significant improvement. I guess I’ll know in a few months. Thanks
Well, its all subjective if you don't even know what the mod is doing. Again, is it a cap change to change the frequency of an EQ or what? what you just made with your comment is an ad populum fallacy, dozens of people say it, therefore it must be true, even if they don't even pin point what exactly has changed, and use such vague terms like "punch" and eq enhancement. I mean, its your money but, if I were you, I would want to know what I am doing.

Latest posts

Back