Circular Connector Bayonet Mount

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gold

I am looking for circular panel mount connectors that mate with a bayonet lock. Twelve position minimum. I want to be able to plug different modules (PCB's in a box) in easily to a mating connector on a table top. Twist and go. This is for a phono QC station. It will have three tonearms. I am using Wayne Kirkwood's Phono Transfer System. I want to plug the boxes in right next to the tonearm mounts. I want to be able to set up different preamp modules for different cartridges and levels and be able to do quick swaps. I think a round bayonet mount connector would work best but I'm open to suggestions.

Most of the panel mount connectors I've seen are made of a shell and an insert. The connector can be either sex but I'm not seeing a mating panel mount connector shell. Any ideas?

Metal or plastic shells and panel connector shell? If plastic is OK, I've used he CPC series connectors made by AMP.

Bri
Plastic is okay as long as it's semi robust. I'll check those out. Are you sure I can mate a male panel mount to a female panel mount? That's the thing I can't tell from the data sheets I've looked at. I'd like to keep the connectors in the $10-$20 range including pins.

Years ago I used those CPCs on several rack-ups which included an external power supply. I had male connectors on the chassis, and females on the cable end. But, you can swap the genders around with various combination of part numbers...and there are a zillion possible combinations. When Mouser had a printed catalog, It was SEMI easy to figure out useful combinations. AMP's catalog sheets were mind boggling.

Bri

I need to mate two panel mount connectors. Not a cable mount connector into a panel mount connector. I want to mount a panel mount connector on a preamp box. I want to mount panel mount connector on a table surface. Then plug and the twist the preamp box into the panel mount connector on the table surface.

I understand that the inserts can be either sex. I don’t know whether there are mating male and female panel mount shells.

I’m open to another connector type to perform the above function of plugging the preamp box into a table top mount connector. I would like the connector to lock. That eliminates any connector that needs to be locked by an actuator like an EDAC or screws like a dsub. It wouldn’t work mechanically.

That also eliminates edge connectors unless I’m missing a self locking and unlocking kind. I’ve seen ribbon cable connectors that plug and lock but I cant use ribbon cable.

i came up with a round bayonet as the most likely to work.

Paul, you have an interesting combo concept! Thinking back, I seem to recall the main differences between panel mount and cable mount CRC connectors was whether or not the "shell" had strain reliefs for cable vs. four mounting screw holes for a panel. My poor old aging mind is boggling about your situation...lol.

In my constructs, I used a female panel mount on the PSU box and a male panel mount on the destination box, with a F -> M cable between. I'm trying to remember how each of the cable mounts "twisted to tighten" and envision how that would translate in your situation. Egads, my "3D thinking" isn't working well! And, I cannot recall if the F cable connector turned in a different direction to latch compared to a M cable connector.

Regardless, when the connectors were mated, the tightening ring was relatively small in height. So, you would have to use some sort of pliers (like a Channel Lock type) in order to sneak into the short space and do the bayonet/quarter turn with the two panels located so close together.

Bri

Last edited:
Regardless, when the connectors were mated, the tightening ring was relatively small in height. So, you would have to use some sort of pliers (like a Channel Lock type) in order to sneak into the short space and do the bayonet/quarter turn with the two panels located so close together.

Bri
Thanks Brian. I think you have found the fatal flaw in my plan. The locking ring means there is no advantage to a ring lock connector.

Something more like a bayonet lamp mount is what I was thinking of. Maybe there is something like that out there?

A bayonet bulb connection works because there is a single "pip" at the base for one connection while the other connection is the shell. I can't think how that concept would work for more than two connections.

What you've generally described for your system is "rack and panel" connections which include EDAC, edge connectors, etc. Maybe redesign so that the "desk" connector is at right angle to the actual desktop and thus the mating box sits flat on the desktop and won't not require a locking connector???? With that sort of design you could concoct a simple (?) design to secure the box to the vertical plate which holds the "desk" connector?

Bri

One other thought having to do with mechanical stability. I've been following Wayne Kirkwood's projects, but I never studied the size of the preamp circuit boards. What overall dimensions are we talking about once the PCB is stuffed into a box?

Bri

What you've generally described for your system is "rack and panel" connections which include EDAC, edge connectors, etc. Maybe redesign so that the "desk" connector is at right angle to the actual desktop and thus the mating box sits flat on the desktop and won't not require a locking connector???? With that sort of design you could concoct a simple (?) design to secure the box to the vertical plate which holds the "desk" connector?

Bri
Hmm, maybe an an EDAC rectangular connector on the outside of the box. That would give access to the actuator.
I can’t think of a way to mount a right angle edge connector and have the wires be shielded. This will have phono level so it has to be well shielded.

The PCB’s are about 4.5” x4.5” IIRC. I’m not at the studio.

The more I think about it the more I like an EDAC with a head shell mounted on a project box.

i could tighten a threaded insert in the cable entrance to the head shell, drill a hole in the box and attach the other end through the hole with a nut.

Why not just use 15 pin D connectors?

They have plenty of retention force even without a locking mechanism.

Why not just use 15 pin D connectors?

They have plenty of retention force even without a locking mechanism.
Because they are flimsy. I currently use them on the preamp box with cable connectors. I don't hate them completely like some. They are fine as long as you never touch them. They are not nearly robust enough for this application. I'm pretty firm about having a locking connector. Phono signals are delicate. EDAC's and Edge connectors mate with just force but I don't like that either.

I think I will order an Amphenol RT001412PNH and a RTS014N12S03 and see if they mate.

There are good D connectors and there are bad D connectors.

The good ones employ machined pins permanently retained in thick steel frames made in the USA.

The bad ones have stamped pins in thin frames as used on imported computer trash.

And then there are the plastic housings...

If you want some really rugged connects see the old Blue Ribbon series. Typical part numbers 26-190-16 and 26-159-16. These may only be available in the "secondary" market here in the 3rd millennium.

If you need more retention force, try mounting some neodymium magnets on the table and add some steel plates to your removable chassis if its aluminum.

If I was to use a non locking connector I’d probably use a DIN backplane connector. An EDAC would work too. But not well enough. I have good dsubs with machined crimp pins and metal housings. Still flimsy compared to an ELCO or a backplane connector which are not good enough anyway. I have experience with dsubs and phono connections. The are not reliable unless locked. I deal with a lot of tape so no magnets anywhere.

Latest posts

Back