CNC coil winder project?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello guys

I have a MK4 UKcnc Mini winder, they have already released a beta of Pi controller software.  Right now the average unit runds off of a a minimal old pc.

I would love to build a PI controllerto make this into a complete pickup workstation.

There is a and Ardu winder called the JCC winder that is very cheap to build and works pretty weak but this UK CNC winder is pretty much state of the art with an MT-100 and porcelain pulley tensioner as an add on.

Here's mine that I built from scratch. It uses an arduino with a GRBL controller. I primarily use it to wind multitap inductors for EQ's, and it works fantastically.

I got most of the parts from www.servocity.com
The wire guide nozzle is a .4mm from UKcnc.

I'm powering everything from an old computer ATX power supply that I modified.

I use Candle to send the Gcode to the machine, but it works fine with others.

I wrote a python script that automatically does all of the math for me, and creates the GCode file. It controls the number of turns, bobbin width, wire width, inductance and number of taps based on a measured AL value using a dummy 100 turn bobbin with wire. It will wind for each tap needed, then pause so you can create the tap on the bobbin. Then you can manually resume it either using a button on the GRBL controller board, or by using the software.

I'm using two felt pads as a tensioner, and haven't had any issues there. I'm sure there are more elegant ways to do this, but it's been highly accurate and reliable even between different ferrite AL values. I'm getting < 0.5% tolerance for each tap. I like it!

Here's a photo with one of the inductors I made at the bottom. I'd be glad to share the python code, I'm just not sure if I can attach it.

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_161013740.jpg
    IMG_20201018_161013740.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 51

Latest posts

Back