Combining SMT and through hole

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered the 19 values I need in miniMELF from Farnell. I was disappointed to discover one of them, 7K5, is on back order, expected 28th December 2026!!! Who on earth is using all the 7K5 resistors?

Cheers

ian

I ordered the 19 values I need in miniMELF from Farnell. I was disappointed to discover one of them, 7K5, is on back order, expected 28th December 2026!!! Who on earth is using all the 7K5 resistors?

Cheers

ian

Availability / Supply Chain is a hit or miss problem atm. Covid issues obvs but also EU issues wrt UK. Talking with suppliers (not specifically audio but general electronics) lead times on loads of stuff has gone crazy. Even if that's just because it's in a backlog of Containers at Felixstowe etc.
In terms of what it all means - the company that I work for estimates that it is currently unable to make/ship around 30% of the current order book due to global material shortages.
wrt '7K5' - it may be a problem if them not being manufactured rather than anyone using loads of them. Can you make up the value using more than one available resistor ?
Obvs 2026 is extreme to say the least but I have some estimated lead times extending into 2023.

I'm suspecting that date to be calculated, not communicated by the mfr.

IOW it means there are hardly any outstanding orders. So the minimum order number for the mfr gets divided by near zero. Nobody notices, since it's just a resistor.

If a large scale buyer orders more than the minimum, the problem is solved next week.

Not in the cases I'm involved with. Info' is direct from the 'manufacturer' or their franchised distributors depending on the supply chain detail.
Having said that - I daresay that there's an element of 'finger in air' around in general.

For desoldering SMT components in general (not really needed for two terminal SMT chip / MELF) this stuff is worth a look.
Best way to remove ics ime.
Weblink is to company website that has loads of other SMT related stuff on it.
But this desoldering alloy/flux etc is usually available in UK via Farnell or RS - can't recall if just one of them or both - but I've definitely previously purchased some from one of them.

Thank you for spelling bus correctly... :cool:

JR
Ha Ha, the little devil in me was on the verge of spelling bus incorrectly just for the sake of see your reaction... 😇 but the angel prevailed.

Jokes apart, thank you for your answer, I think I'll go with mini Melf 204 for bus resistors then.

Paolo

Just to add to the conversation, I've been using SMD parts (mainly resistors and capacitors 1206 or 805 ) since 2 or 3 years and I must say it is very easy to solder/desolder them, it gets a little harder to do with ics and soil packages but it is manageable.
I usually design my SMD footprints with longer pads, in fact I have designed some pcbs with vertical resistors THT footprints so that I can solder both THT resistors as well as SMD 805 resistors. it works with ceramic capacito with a 2,5 mm footprint and 805 SMD capacitors.

Paolo

Latest posts

Back