Completed GSSL with turbo, 2 SSC and true bypass

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matthew Jacobs said:
- A big thanks to Purusha for the case and suggesting the switches. Beautiful work, makes the GSSL look pro!
Great looking unit.

What exactly were the push button switches you finally went with e.g. manufacturers part numbers, and where did you order them? I've scoured the Farnell catalogue and done some searches myself but I'm not sure I've found exactly the right parts yet [I'm also using a couple of Parusha cases).

Maybe this is a stupid question or one I'm going to answer myself, but I'm a bit confused with the trimpots...
You've replaced a couple of resistors with trimmers, but the trimmer have three legs, and the resistors have two.

Would this mean that for the trimmers you only connect the middle leg and one of the outer legs (so you leave one outer leg disconnected?

Thanks!

I think you could do it like you mentioned, but this is how I do it and how I've seen it done by others.

You have to connect the wiper (middle pin) to one of the legs (outer pin). This transforms the 3 pins into 2 pins. In this way the potentiometer becomes a variable resistor. Also the spacing is now perfect to fit on the PCB.

You can see this configuration in a lot of schematics / PCB bords.

J

Ahh, yes, of course...

I got when i read your comment to connect the wiper to one of the outer legs. We need a variable resistor, not a voltage divider, right?

Thanks for your answer!

:)nice build...i need one for a mix asap,any for sale,i have not had any time to build anything...

Hey JD,

Yes, I'm going to build a GSSL :).
I think I have read almost every thread about it now, so I guess it's time to get stated.
I really liked the idea of adding trimmers, so I'll definitely do that!

Hey, where do you find these blue lighted compression (in dB) meters ?
Can't find them, I looked on Sifam but it doesn't seem to be the same..

See ya

sdR said:
Hey, where do you find these blue lighted compression (in dB) meters ?
Can't find them, I looked on Sifam but it doesn't seem to be the same..

See ya

I got them from Hairball. I think Ptownkid stocks them as well

Hi guys
I finished my clone with 2 x SSC + Turbo board (on / off)
everything works well
thanks to your priceless advice

just one doubt
I plugged in the first SSC in place of  of 47k
the second SSC goes to turbo and returns to the main board with 47K in series (right?)
The strange thing is that when I try to adjust TL and TM in the first SSC I change the level of the other SSC .....
without 47k in series after the turbo, level is much higher is normal?

Thanks

When using the SSC you don't need the 47K resistor.

The SSC in fact "becomes" the 47K resistor. If we have 2 SSC boards we have to remove 2 47K resistors.

Hope that helps.

I was going to upload a diagram of how I wired things, but I have been so busy lately. Let me know if you'd be interested as I have more time nowadays.

I'm glad you finished your unit and I hope you like it.

Is it your first GSSL?

thanks Matthew
I'm very interested,
I have many doubts about my wiring ...
but it is normal in turbo mode has much more volume?
Yes, the first
thanks

Using 10:1 ratio as an example, NON-turbo should compress almost 6dB more than turbo, when presented with a tone on BOTH channels.

So the output volume should be almost 6dB higher in that circumstance, yes.

But with only ONE channel fed, the turbo and GSSL modes should be the same; no difference when switching modes. Feed a tone into one channel and check mode switching, then feed it into the other channel and repeat the test.

Keith

Thanks Keith

one more information ....
I read in the forum, something about the resistance by 20k on SSC board ... (10k instead of 20k)
I have to make some changes?
Thanks!

Finished my SSL with Turbo & dual ssc.

If you use 8 position switches with purushas case you have to remember that they are 36 degrees per position (12 pos: 30 degrees), so the frontpanel doesnt match (found it out the hard way ;) ).

Ordered now other switches from farnell, these should work and have hopefully better quality then the cheap ones from banzai:

Will try to mod the output stage on the ssc, like discussed with harpo yesterday. Will post results.

Latest posts

Back