Console armrest material

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

I was looking around in the local army surplus and found one of what you see below ,
they call it a Jerkin , its a leather garment used for protection in combat .
What the picture doesnt reveal is the quality of the leather , its absolutely triple A grade ,
It has an almost translucent frog green colour and it feels creepily like your touching someones cold skin ,
The thing is made for a barrel chest , so theres almost a square meter of hide there ,
I'm thinking of getting the shoe maker to make me a pair of slippers and I'd still have loads left over as console trim .

From a historical perspective the old style oxblood British army Jerkin probably contributed to the term 'Tan' over here , as in Black and Tan .

1691667973682.png

I don't know the details but AFAIK our wrist rests were made from Naugahyde, stapled to wooden forms, with some upholstery padding added.

my larger boards were some 6' long so I'm not sure that jacket will cover it.

JR

I don't know the details but AFAIK our wrist rests were made from Naugahyde, stapled to wooden forms, with some upholstery padding added.

my larger boards were some 6' long so I'm not sure that jacket will cover it.

JR
I have seen it done a few ways.
1. As mentioned above by jr. This is most common found on a lot of old and new desks.
2. Wood armrest no cover. Sanded and varnished. Add clear cost for protection. This is found on trident desks.
3.metal arm rest, no padding but covered in Naugahyde. This is current on ssl analog desks.
4. One client redid their armrest in 1970’s shag. They had an old mci and wanted to vine out the studio.

This thing is like someone skinned the Incredible Hulk and turned him into a waist coat :D

I happen to be doing a few jobs on the masonry in my new place just now exposing the ancient stonework with a hammer and chissel , the vest comes in very handy ,
Of course the real case use of this Jerkin is when the place is being pounded to shit, shrapnel ,chunks of flying masonry and blood n guts are coming at you ,

I'll check how much it costs to get a pair of Morrocan Berber slippers made up ,

Luckily I dont have any 6 foot long consoles ,
I know in mainstream production they dont use leather , but this is DIY after all , we can do what we want .

That’s a cool wood splitting vest. Or a “get the eff away” tech vest. It says Yaaaah! I would have 2 if I saw it around here.
If it’s hulk hide, flat seams will be out of the question for a long rub rail, but for a mini 70’s desk it is a perfect match. Total 70’s color, and would last forever.
For the traditional long rub rest I go to the marine upholsterer. They have 1’ rolls of whatever.
I had a chance to do a Duality in Louis Vitton leather, the $$, the factory contact, but they didn’t go for it. Wudda been total dope.
Buy the lot and make Sphere bumpers.
Mike

Last edited:
Back