Console Design Masterclass: RDH-4

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matriachamplification

Wall Thomas
Hello GDIY,

After some time entertaining different avenues for our educational initiative, my family and I have come to the conclusion that curating a "Console Design Masterclass" is a worth while venture.

The theme my wife has firmly commited to is Custom Tube Consolettes designed to model the Vintage Broadcast Consoles we refurbish utalizing Mr. Thompson-Bell's Custom Tube Consoles formula.

The Custom Tube Console Eurochannel Card is modeled after 1940's RCA Mic Pres so...She's arranged to have several popular vintage tube broadcast Consolettes shipped from Nashville starting with a pair of RCA 76-B2 Consolettes a McCurdy Tube Console we have yet to see and a pair of GE Consolettes in need of refurbishing.

Our pilot project to launch the initiative & work out kinks can be viewed HERE.
Industrial Tape Applications - ACS2B 10 Channel Tube Broadcast Console

We know from our conversations with Mr. Willams that these vintage consoles can be more visually appealing then they are useful tools for modern studio production. We have no interest in selling consoles only learning to fix them up.

The Vintage Tube Broadcast Console Museum (name pending) will be the home of all our restorations as well as the Custom Tube Consolette models we devise. We aim to host a formidable collection that, one day, hopefully can be showcased at the Royal Ontario Museum or Ontario Science Centre.

Where we need help is from GDIY members willing to put together a Lecture on Tube Tech Design or Vintage Tube Technology etc... with heavy enphasis on What inspires you to keep building?

With a physical copy of the Radiotron Designers Handbook 4th Edition in the mail, we will encorporate as much theory from this Bible into our initiative as possible.

This is already snowballing and we hope to get interest from GDIY prior to becoming focused on our builds. So please if you have anything to contribute we would LOVE to have the help.

Thanks for reading

Wall and Family

Last edited:
Congrats on your latest aquisitions Wall ,
I was lucky enough to be gifted a copy of RDH4 close on 30 years back now ,along with stacks of Wireless World and other similar publications from an ex RAF technician who dropped anchor here in Ireland later . In the process of leafing through said material I found at least one notice of 'AWOL' addressed to the previous owner and I laughed a hearty laugh in honor of his disobedience to the power.

He'd tried every means possible to pass on his treasured collection to various so called learning institutions , but it was considered 'old hat' by those in education whos only aim was to shoehorn kids for modern industry . I made a trip to Dublin and met the man in person , I guess it doesnt matter much now as he was frail and in his 80's back in the mid 90's , Rob Reidy's signature and the year 1956 is hand written on the inside cover, that red book is one of my most treasured possessions . The flag you end up under means little or nothing ,just remember good people exist under all regimes .

Last edited:
Congrats on your latest aquisitions Wall ,
I was lucky enough to be gifted a copy of RDH4 close on 30 years back now ,along with stacks of Wireless World and other similar publications from an ex RAF technician who dropped anchor here in Ireland later . In the process of leafing through said material I found at least one notice of 'AWOL' addressed to the previous owner and I laughed a hearty laugh in honor of his disobedience to the power.

He'd tried every means possible to pass on his treasured collection to various so called learning institutions , but it was considered 'old hat' by those in education whos only aim was to shoehorn kids for modern industry . I made a trip to Dublin and met the man in person , I guess it doesnt matter much now as he was frail and in his 80's back in the mid 90's , Rob Reidy's signature and the year 1956 is hand written on the inside cover, that red book is one of my most treasured possessions . The flag you end up under means little or nothing ,just remember good people exist under all regimes .

Hello Tubetec,

thanks for sharing a great story. It truely illustrates the importance and value that the RDH-4 holds for many in its pages. For us it feels like a coming of age. We've searched for this book for years and now that it is in transit there is a sense of ease.

The 'Old Hat' remark regarding education stricks a positive chord for us. There was a recent comment by @gyraf "Learn By Doing". Which encompasses what we've learned from GDIY. We hope to encapsulate this in a Masterclass and share it with our daughter (4) as she grows up learning Tube Technology.

Thanks,

Wall and Family

Jake the gyrafs comment resonated with me too , much as I respect the mathmaticaly talented here the ear is the final judge of sonic carachter , I should have made more effort in math class all the same .

Latest posts

Back