Convolution IR's and emulations...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
boji said:
Makes me wonder about the emulation method used in Nebula plugins.  Are "Vectorial Volterra Kernels" arrayed IR's?
I‘d say volterra kernels are rather a multidimensional convolution. Main benefit is that it can do nonlinear. Kemper amp seems to use it as well. I think. It is easier to grasp when coming from a parametric model. Google has stuff on this, but you need to really want to chew through the math (which is quite convoluted).

..yup, it's apparantly a way of interpolating multiple convolutions. Mind you, the interpolation estimates are still normalized guesswork, not originating in the real world - i.e. like making a movie by interpolating between fixed images.. So still reducing complexity of real world.

Jakob E.

The mic modelling idea is BS, basically no different from the likewise BS'hitty antares mic modeller of yestercentury. Carried by marketing and suggested-perception. There is simply much more to a microphone than can be captured in 1½D - if they did an array like the soundfield, we could start talking about further details..
As the High Priest of Tetrahedral soundfield mikes, I've said a couple of times I'd like to have a go at emulating 'classic' C12, U47 or U67.

A Tetrahedral soundfield allows you to emulate the 3D response of a microphone.

I would do it with a TetraMic or a Sennheiser Ambeo you supply and you'll need the TetraMic software. I'd also need to borrow your vintage C12, U47 or U67 for an extended period cos I'm a real beach bum :)

For me impulse responses are like photos of a movie. As with everything, i think there are good IR captures and bad ones. The bad ones are the lifeless ones that Gyraf mentionned..

I've done a lot of impulse responses in order to share the sound of cool/exotic hardware pieces with the rest of the world (most of them are for free): Flo Audio

To get a good capture you need to find the right gain staging for the machine, and then you've got to listen to the capture and discriminate :). It's not a set and forget approach, and it's not only about 'leaving some headroom', sometimes you have to really hunt for it if you want a more musical IR lol!

It will never replace the real thing, apart from reverbs, and eqs curves.. But it's a great way to share a little bit of the sonic imprint a piece of gear has, or even to have it at your disposal in the computer when you're not working from home!

And beyond capturing gear, i think it's a very interesting way to create new sounds, for example: i recorded the steam coming out of a thermos, ran it into a recording of the body of a flute, recorded the result, and there i had a new instrument lol :) I've been working mainly for tv/movies music over the last 10 years, it's not the final answer, but it works :)!

It just sucks when a guy with a big studio full of a wet dream selection of equiptment struggles to make the hit a little guy with a laptop can! Maybe he was too busy worrying about the esoteric BS, that ooold folks obsess over!

Back