Cool use for Primo EM200/204

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Micbooster still had them in stock as of a few minutes ago and I now have a few EM200 coming my way. Really appreciate the heads up on them being discontinued :).

Idle question for those in the know: I also have a couple of those vintage EM21 cardioid capsules (in this case on Teac bodies). Are these similar to the EM200?

No comparison. The EM21 has no internal FET.

Also the EM200 is smaller and housed in a comparatively fragile stamped aluminum housing, rather than EM21's machined brass. Also EM21 is noticeably brighter.

Primo USA confirmed that EM200 is discontinued and no longer available for new purchase. That likely means that once MicBooster is out of their current stock you won't get more.

The USA site also followed up and made clear that they aren't really interested in what GDIY is doing with their capsules, they only work with OEM:
"Lastly Primo's policy is wholesale, direct with companies or their contract
manufacturers primarily. We don't use distributors in North/South America,
so any reseller like Ebay, Amazon, or individuals selling Primo components
are doing so illegally. None of those illegal products would be honored or
responsible as a Primo product."

Obviously not an attorney, since I can guarantee there is no law which makes it "illegal" to resell Primo capsules on eBay, no one is getting arrested. Possibly someone violated the terms of a contract they had with Primo, but I can't say since I was not party to any of Primo's contracts.
MicBooster.com is a manufacturer, albeit small scale, so possibly they are going through normal channels to get their Primo capsules.
It does explain why Mouser and Digikey have CUI and PUI, but never Primo.

So is MicBooster in the UK the only place to buy small quantities of Primo capsules?

I looked (albeit not in a completely perfect fashion) and didn't see anyone else selling Primo EM200 capsules. I'm presently located in the U.S. and hadn't bought from them, but it looked like shipping charges were good & they were used to shipping over the pond, so I pulled the trigger. As of this moment they quote up to a 15 day delay for dispatch.

Crossing fingers they'll get here, and without customs duty (the order is way way under the $800 import tax threshold) but I'm really not worried at all. Still in stock earlier today. EM204 is also, but according to the site those caps are available 'online only'.

Was reading about the concept behind the Schoeps V4U, and decided the EM200 was a good candidate for a DIY version of something similar, since it has such unusually flat response. Looking at the response of the V4U, that could only come from a flat-response capsule, as the HF lift would be created by the 33mm ring around it.

Very delayed reaction here.

But has anyone ever measured the effect the rubber boots might have on frequency response and directionaity?

Serious question. Dumb question (be gentle), but serious.

100F.jpg

Finally (!) got these guys in front of an orchestra (sort of).

College orch in a very small, VERY dead room (orch literally surrounded by heavy velvet drapes (!?). No risers and no shell. Luckily, the stage is extremely low - only about 8". An orch member was already doing an 'official' recording, so I bootlegged (free concert) from row 2, center. Mics were only at about my seated shoulder level, spaced 13" apart, and angled almost parallel (to eliminate as much of the crummy, narrow room as possible).

Actually sounded better than I expected.

Only processing is +3dB treble shelf to compensate for ridiculously low position.

Attachments

• DSCN1165_66stitch blurFaces.jpg
    DSCN1165_66stitch blurFaces.jpg
    578.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 230402_0199S34_up11dB flop_excerpt.mp3.zip
    4.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:

But has anyone ever measured the effect the rubber boots might have on frequency response and directionaity?

100F.jpg
If capsule is placed close to the front of the 'boot', the effect could be vaguely similar to Josephson e22s (maybe?) - wouldn't have much similarity to the 33mm beveled ring, though.

100F.jpg
Not a dumb question. It will considerably affect both, but in what way will depend on size, how it's placed. Experimentation is the only way to know for sure. Akg uses similar add-ons for same purpose.

I used 3 x EM204 capsules for a Mid/Side mic, and fitted them using 'standard' rubber grommets.
In practice, the most suitable I found had an internal diameter that was slightly too large, so I used a ribbon of rubber - cut from a rubber band - to make up the difference. Tiny dabs of superglue to secure where necessary.

As the grommet (and rubber ribbon) thicknesses were almost identical to the depth of the capsule there was very little - if any - 'tunnel' effect.

OK, a bit basic perhaps? - but after all we are a 'DIY' community here ! :)

Attachments

• MS capsules.jpg
    MS capsules.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 1
Back