correct edge connector for UA 1108 ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teleharmonium

Does anyone have a current part number or exact model number and make for the type of 20 position edge connector used on an original UA 1108 ?

I have several different numbers on the connectors I have and none of them seem to be currently available. I looked on old threads here, one mentions a parts spreadsheet but the link is dead. I do need it to be the exact original type so that it will fit the original tray.

It looks like this

http://www.instrumentation2000.com/texmatecn-l10edgeconnector.aspx

but that one says "EIC" rather than "WK" before the "S10A2G" that one of my connectors has, I don't know what that means and would like to hedge my bet against buying a dozen of the wrong part.

any help appreciated

does anybody have this info ?

I found seemingly very similar NOS 20 pin edge connectors on ebay but the measurements do not match the vintage connectors I have, so that's made me more gun shy about rolling the dice .

I don't have much to add other than I found the old German broadcast 36pin edge connectors from a
place called "Connex" in the UK - IIRC - I can't see where you are based from your sig?

They were great on the phone and confirmed an exact "fit" as they knew their stuff.

Let me know and I can dig out their details if that helps ?

MM.

Marty I think the challenge here for me is getting either a part number for a currently available version, or,  the exact specs for these connectors. There seem to be a huge number of basically similar connectors out there, but variants like the thickness of the card edge and the pitch of the solder tabs and whether I need a particular conductor material or temperature reading are mysterious to me. It seems that I will have many options for vendors once I can narrow it down. As I mentioned I almost bought a bunch of them but then someone else sent a question to the ebay seller who responded with measurements that are just slightly different than what I have, but enough that they would not fit in the original trays that hold these female connectors, so evidently these things are kind of standardized, but not really.

I guess I can buy some calipers and figure some of this out, but past threads indicate others have racked these up, at one point there was a spreadsheet attached here that had links or part numbers but it's no longer archived.

thanks for your reply

Yup - understand your dilemma !

The 51x project, for example, is quite forgiving at the card edge thickness, the receiving ends contacts
are flexible enough for good contact.

Hope you can nail that down,

Regards,
Marty.

Bumping this in case anybody has a current source or part number for these, or alternatively, the card thickness and tab "pitch" that (aside from the dimensions of the connector and mounting holes which I can figure out) would allow me to have a complete set of specs for selecting the right connectors

I don't think too many of us here have original 1108's at our disposal. Your best bet would be a caliper set from the local pawn shop. Or you could probably get by using a drafting ruler.

Indecline - it wouldn't necessarily have to come from an 1108 specifically, Altec 9470a and I'm sure others used the same connectors, that's why I think there's a little bit of intel that I am missing that identifies these thing as some sort of standard thing whereas without that I am left with trying to build specs using terms I don't understand and measurements I don't have a way to obtain at the moment. The various connectors I have on some of these have some different manufacturer and part #s on them (none of which match up to any current offerings) so there has to be some specification behind that which I'm just not privy to yet. I just got a couple more trays from a guy that referred to it as a standard Cinch edge connector; I asked, he hasn't given me any more info and I haven't been able to narrow it down any further so far from the many, many similar offerings out there. But yeah I guess I will be getting some calipers next if I don't have some luck.

At one point there was a spreadsheet posted here with specific part numbers for building a version of the 1108; not sure if that connector would necessarily fit an original mounting tray, but if I could get that info from anyone that saved it I could explore that option.

Teleharm...
Apologies if this is obvious but the fit criteria are thickness of PCB (usually not too sensitive), number of contacts (1 or 2 sided), pitch of fingers (your link is .156 inches) and depth of fingers.

A "typical" PCB thickness is .063” (1.57 mm), if it feels the same it probably is, thicker etc probably is.

Second, The 20 pin connector you linked has a dual row of contacts (separate pins on top and bottom) at a pitch of .156" (3.96mm) on center.  You should verify the pitch.

Third it appears that the connector has dual connectors which is fine, just make sure if you choose a card with a single connector row (10 contacts) that your card doesn't require opposite fingers to have different signals (you can figure this out by inspecting the PCB).

Lastly EDAC has great specs in their datasheets, and with that and some measurements you should be able to find your way.  They spec every dimension, including how long the overall slot is so you can make sure the whole tab fits in without changes.

For instance:
Here is an EDAC data sheet for connectors for .157 nominal thickness PCB with .156 finger pitch:
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/123/46_Series%20307,%20357-3542.pdf

I just searched for EDAC connectors with 20 contacts in Mouser with 3.96 mm pitch:
http://fi.mouser.com/EDAC/Connectors/Card-Edge-Connectors/Standard-Card-Edge-Connectors/_/N-axj7d?P=1z0zlevZ1z0wxonZ1z0wxnn&Keyword=card+edge+connectors&Ns=Pitch%7c0&FS=True

thanks Bruce0. I wasn't familiar with this usage of "pitch" but just looked it up. Next I will see if I can get ahold of some calipers. If I have some success I'll update this post with the winning source and part number.

Pitch meaning distance from center finger to center finger.

In saw blades, pitch is measured in teeth per inch (TPI) or teeth per 25mm.
Screw threads have "pitch" too, it is a little more complicated but same general idea.

I may be misusing the term pitch but I mean distance between fingers.

update: I got some calipers and used the Edac data sheet referenced by bruce0 to get a part number and make an order. They arrived today and I was able to install one in an original UA mounting tray and fit the preamp module, so I'm now 100% sure these work. The manufacturer (Edac) part number is 307-020-500-202. I got them from Newark/Element 14 but you can also get them from Mouser and other sources.

The same connector fits onto the edge of an Altec 9470A (but I don't have an original mounting tray for those so I am only verifying they work for the cards).

thanks folks

Glad to hear it, and thanks for the follow up with part numbers.  Always nice to have someone else clear the underbrush.

Back