Correct Termination of GPO 316 Connectors

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MatthewF

Hi all,

Does anyone know what kind of crimp tool would be appropriate for crimping the terminating connectors inside a GPO 316 plug?

Also, would anyone have any suggestions on how to secure a 2.7mm PVC cable jacket to the brass plug? I'm thinking some sort of rubber bung to fill the gap between cable jacket and plug would be necessary, but I'm not finding much through web searches. (Ideally I'd use Neutrik plugs with the compression gland, but I have a bunch of 316 plugs here which I'd like to put to use!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Cheers,

Matthew

Indeed, they're rather lovely and also a little odd to work with if you're used to modern neutriks with the chuck strain relief! I'll have a go at finding some rubber tubing to fit between the narrower modern cable and the inside of the brass plug.

I've disected a (faulty) original patch cable with the cotton-jacketed 'tinsel' cable and found the jacket had a length of cotton thread wrapped around it which was effectively screwed into the body of the brass plug (which has an internal thread cut into the brass). Seems a nice approach, but probably less effective with a PVC jacket.

It just so happens that I had a box of these beauties lying around, with 600 ohm terminating resistors build in...I have used regular microphone cable with these connectors and never had any problems. Just tin the conductors and hook 'em to the screw terminals.

Best of luck,
EJ

Attachments

• GPO plugs.jpg
    GPO plugs.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 30
It just so happens that I had a box of these beauties lying around, with 600 ohm terminating resistors build in...I have used regular microphone cable with these connectors and never had any problems. Just tin the conductors and hook 'em to the screw terminals.

Best of luck,
EJ
Are you willing to part with any of those? I would buy them from you...

Latest posts

Back