COVID-19

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The issue with the current electoral college is it has effectively done the reverse, and created a tyranny of a very small minority. POTUS needs to appeal to an even smaller segment of the population than even a simple majority would require. Only the votes of the privileged few in select swing states matter. The individual votes of most are effectively worthless.
While I agree that the swing states get the majority of the attention, at least they are spread around various regions of the country and not concentrated where only the large cities are. And the swing states are not static entities like the big metropolitan areas. The interests of the swing states are more diverse than the interests of the coastal elite.

And, as I said, this could be addressed by breaking the more populous states, but given that they are nearly all dominated by the interests of the large cities, the breakup will be gerrymandered to maintain the current power dynamic. No system is perfect and I still prefer the electoral college and Senate as we have them rather than direct democracy which is known to fail (which is why it was not chosen by our founders).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back