Cowboy cures.....

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pucho812 said:
Anyone familiar with Cowboy Kent rollings? I recently discovered his youtube channel.  His videos on cowboy cooking are done well and he knows his stuff.

This is one of his current videos, it's less about cooking and more about about cowboy remedies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWkCLK2Sf_g

i remember him from food channels, he is a true cowboy, very kind, and very nice person!

kambo said:
i remember him from food channels, he is a true cowboy, very kind, and very nice person!

he seems cool and really knows his way around the outdoor kitchen. I really want to start doing  cowboy coffee, looks like  a great way to go

pucho812 said:
he seems cool and really knows his way around the outdoor kitchen. I really want to start doing  cowboy coffee, looks like  a great way to go
why? cowboy coffee is likely less than optimal...

I roast my own coffee in a temperature controlled drum roaster. "Cowboys" roast coffee in frying pans over a fire... It can be done but is only better than not roasted coffee.

While not cowboy coffee, I have had "NATO maneuvers in the Kisselvind forest Germany" coffee.  The ground coffee gets dumped into large metal pan, then you pour boiling water into the pan over the coffee, you stir with something resembling a small boat oar. Finally you sprinkle cold water on top to sink the coffee grounds still floating on top. Finally you decant the good coffee into a huge thermal insulated container, leaving the dregs in the bottom of the pan (with the leaves and other forest debris).

In fact that field coffee did not suck, much better than the instant coffee in the circa Korean conflict C-RATS we had (already decades old by the 70s). The only reason I had this first hand experience is because I got stuck on KP (kitchen police) duty in the middle of the German forest while on maneuvers.  ::)

JR

JohnRoberts said:
why? cowboy coffee is likely less than optimal...

optimal of what ?
getting high on caffeine or taste  ::)
i hate starbucks coffee, and most other chain shop coffee !

kambo said:
optimal of what ?
taste, flavor?
getting high on caffeine or taste  ::)
I joke that people add sugar and cream to conceal the off flavor of crappy coffee.... Many people do indeed drink it just for the caffeine fix.  Good coffee tastes fine black.
i hate starbucks coffee, and most other chain shop coffee !
I have shared this before but starbucks is derisively called "starburnt" by serious coffee aficionados because they tend to over roast their beans. They do this on purpose to reduce flavor variations from batch to batch... (over roasting drives off volatile flavor elements). Consumers who tolerate the flavor of coffee for the buzz do not like it tasting different from cup to cup.

Coffee flavor has similar taste influences, like geography, and even seasonal weather in common with wine grapes. People don't mind if quality wines taste a little different between batches but want their coffee to all be identical?  (I realize I am mind reading here, but starbucks over-roasts their coffee because reducing flavor variation helps them sell more. )

JR

PS: I see a similar parallel where people tolerate crappy tasting beer for the alcohol buzz...  Life is too short for inferior beverages.

I used to explain to people about starbucks and how they used a lesser quality bean. In turn they over roasted the beans giving that classic starbucks burn taste.  I have never been a fan but their marketing sure made them popular. MY coffee is usually black and if I am not making it at home, I have a couple of spots that use really good beans and do not burn it when making it.  they are few and fair between as a lot of places adopted the starbucks method for coffee.

pucho812 said:
I used to explain to people about starbucks and how they used a lesser quality bean.
AFAIK they buy decent arabica beans, not the cheaper robusta...
In turn they over roasted the beans giving that classic starbucks burn taste.
dark roasting reduces the flavor swings even from good beans.
I have never been a fan but their marketing sure made them popular. MY coffee is usually black and if I am not making it at home, I have a couple of spots that use really good beans and do not burn it when making it.  they are few and fair between as a lot of places adopted the starbucks method for coffee.
Roast darkness is only part of the quality issue.... Freshness matters, so grinding the coffee just before brewing, and roasting within only a few days of use can affect flavor.

Most coffee makers are decent these days, but even decent coffee can get trashed if you leave it on heat for too long (at all is too long IMO).

JR

looks like we gonna have to have a coffee party at John's  place soon!
no milk sugar on mine please :)

Back