Creating a browsable, searchable copy of long threads

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagoausente

:oops: I cannot find the way to drag down the cells on excell to get the list of URL!!
I´m feeling quite stupid really. :?

I come from there, he explains all about the firebox and Scrapbook, but just tells the excell is "dead easy", but I don´t know how to do it.

He takes the address: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=15373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Then tells that the next page will be

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=15373&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

so is the same address, increasing by 15..
start=0
start=15
start=30

He tells that with Excell, gets quickly the 59 address of the hole thread, instead of being writing manually each one. That´s what I don´t know how to do.

In excel place the mouse in the lower right corner of the cell then drag down the colum to auto fill cells. Excel will read the values in the cells and try to continue any sequence that it sees. ie:

if the first cell is zero and you drag it down all the other cells will be zero too. If the first cell is 1 and the second cell is 2 then excel with increment by 1. if the first cell ends in 0 and the second cell ends in 15 then excel will count by 15.

Moogah is right, that will work...however I completely fail to see how having each page as a link makes anything any easier.

What is the point of this?

[quote author="moogah"]In excel place the mouse in the lower right corner of the cell then drag down the colum to auto fill cells. Excel will read the values in the cells and try to continue any sequence that it sees. ie:

if the first cell is zero and you drag it down all the other cells will be zero too. If the first cell is 1 and the second cell is 2 then excel with increment by 1. if the first cell ends in 0 and the second cell ends in 15 then excel will count by 15.[/quote]

:thumb: Thanks guy! . At first Excell was increasning by one, even I had 0, 15, 30. Just have to first select the three cells before the drag down. When putting the mouse on the lower right corner it appears a cross. Now works!! :cool:

ptown, this is for using with the scrapbook plugin for firefox which will download a series of websites to your local machine and then lets you search through them...

or do I misunderstand what you are asking?

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but I find that using Google usually works better for me than scrapbook. I just go to Google.com, click on Advanced Search, type in the search string info, and restrict the search to the domain groupdiy.com. This allows me to refine my searches to exact detail and requires very little thought or effort on my part.

[quote author="originalmusician"]Maybe this is stating the obvious, but I find that using Google usually works better for me than scrapbook. I just go to Google.com, click on Advanced Search, type in the search string info, and restrict the search to the domain groupdiy.com. This allows me to refine my searches to exact detail and requires very little thought or effort on my part.[/quote]

I think that the Scarpbood method may be more useful to search within a thread.
I have tried the google one now, but even I putted a thread address, the results are all over prodigy threads.

[quote author="lagoausente"] I think that the Scarpbood method may be more useful to search within a thread.
I have tried the google one now, but even I putted a thread address, the results are all over prodigy threads.[/quote]

I totally agree. If you only want to search a single thread, the scrapbook is the way to go as Google allows you to limit the search to domain, but not to a single thread. So with Google, you have to be very creative with your search strings and don't always get what you want. So I use both types of searches depending on the situation. But I find that if I'm building a project and in need of serious info and using scrapbook, I have to load to entire meta in order to get me to where I need to go. The problem is that I'm too lazy to do that if I'm not seriously stuck :grin:

I have to load to entire meta in order to get me to where I need to go. The problem is that I'm too lazy to do that if I'm not seriously stuck Very Happy

where is the work on loading the entire meta?

[quote author="lagoausente"]
where is the work on loading the entire meta?[/quote]

Maybe I just haven't found a good way yet as I just started using scrapbook not too long ago. I can autoload the whole thing, but it is not searchable that way (or is it). Otherwise, I've been loading it one thread at a time. I've only done that for one meta though, as I thought it was a lot of work. If anybody else has a better way, I'd appreciate knowing :?:

I can autoload the whole thing, but it is not searchable that way (or is it). Otherwise, I've been loading it one thread at a time. I've only done that for one meta though, as I thought it was a lot of work. If anybody else has a better way, I'd appreciate knowing Question

I´m not sure, haven´t tried yet the whole process, but I think that on the web explains how to search all over one thread, I´ll have to check that.

Back