crisotop's finished projects

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm definitely trying to finish it at some point. Having horrible PSU issues that are very non-predictable. Just can't motivate me at the moment ;)

i just saw this thread for the first time.

i feel like crap right now.  :-[

also, i just looked up the price for that rohde and schwarz audio analyser...holy moly!!

On your D-La2a case what did you use on the front face plate on top of the aluminum plate? The black plate is a thin aluminum stamp??? Where can you get those made?

crisotop said:
My thread of successful builds in chronological order - enjoy!

G-SSL

SSL02.jpg

The beginners favorite - what else can I say? Built with the additional Steffen Super Sidechain Board

Two Dual 1176 Compressors

1176frontSmall.jpg

1176insideSmall.jpg

Both are built with mnats Boards and have Lundahls on the output, the blue unit has IC input, the black one has switchable IC + OEP trafo input (many thanks to Stephen for the help on that!). I haven't made pictures of the finished insides yet, also the knobs on the blue unit are just temporarily and will be replace by the new owner. FETs are matched and stereo linking works like a charm, only the wiring on the non Rev-D boards is quite a pain, I can't see myself building an 1081!

Dual Analog Opto

d-aocFrontSmall.jpg

d-aocOpenSmall.jpg

The first build i felt the "analoge" right away - this unit just sounds like I would imagine a tapemachin to sound. Smoothed out highs and soft saturation - just beatiful! Have to try the Kubi "double vactrol" mod and maybe a 600:10k on the input for more gain. At the moment this compressor behaves like a nice old marshall amp - everything on 10 and your good to go. I used a 3pdt switch for modding the slopes, "soft" is a blue led, "hard" a red and middle position is original analog mode. Only the VUs are a bit off, need to have a look at that at some point.

Edit: Now with Kubi 'double vactrol + sidechain cap mod', doesn't really need the 600:10k input trafo anymore, but there's a pair on it's way already ;)

Two LA-2a's

La2a_FrontSmall.jpg

La2a_InsideSmall.jpg

These two were originally finished last spring. One unit was built for a friend again, I just purchased Volkers dual board since I miss the second one already ;) Sowter Iron, other than that nothing fancy in there. Sounds absoutely fantastic on vocals!

Neve 33609

neve33609_calibrationSmall.jpg

neve33609_openSmall.jpg

neve33609_openBackSmall.jpg

My first piece of "Neve" gear, sits on my low-end (i.e. drums + bass) buss since it was finished. Carnhills trafos, Elma for the compression threshold - easy build, but again VU tracking is not quite right, after 6-8 dB it starts to drift. (btw - thae rhode&schwarz analyser belongs to the university where I work - no need to panic :D)

Two G-Pultecs EQP1s

pultec_OpenFrontSmall.jpg

pultec_OpenBackTiltSmall.jpg

Edcor XS1100 on in and output using Tat's adapter boards, Max (ioaudio) inductor. All filter caps are wimas (sometimes in parallel to get the needed values), fairly easy to fit them in smaller/bigger holes if you're having a hard time sourcing the needed spacings. Beautiful low-end, especially the boost is huge, same counts for the top.

Neumann V475 Summing Amp

V475_frontSmall.jpg

V475_backSmall.jpg

Of course inspired by volkers (thanks for the card & help!) great looking box I decided to build on by myself. 24 channels in the smallest 1U box I had flying around :) 18 stereo inputs + 6 Mono suit my mixing setup perfectly, I also switched to a bantam patchbay and redid all my cabling just for this box. Very clean sounding, absolutely no noise, slight bass roll off...

ReAmp Box

reAmpSmall.jpg

reAmp_openSmall.jpg

Andreas Hau (i think I've seen him somewhere here in this forum ;)) wrote an article about a cheap (~ €30) reamping box using a tiny neutrik transformer in the german 'sound and recording magazine' a couple of months ago. Since I used a passive DI in reverse for that purpose and wanted to have more control I built one. The impedance control is awesome, my singlecoil Tele sounds like a Paula with lots of balls when I crank up the control!

Sontec Stereo EQ

sontec1small.jpg

sontec2small.jpg

Surgical stereo 'mastering' eq - very easy build. Configured mine for +/-12dB as printed on the front panel.

API 312 Stereo Micpre

312frontSmall.jpg

312backSmall.jpg

A thousand thanks to br, jensenman and hansherman for finally getting those 312 boards + 2520 opamps out ;) Another cheers to Gil for his demo rack-case, which made building a breeze. Very straightforward to build and tons (!!) of gain from this classic piece of gear.

Ibanez FL-301 Stompbox Flanger

ibanezFL301small.jpg

Got the pcb from tonepad, built two effectpedals, one as a gift for a friend and one for myself. Not as Swooshy as an Electric Mistress, but very versatile, from chorus, to rotary cabinet, to deep jet sounds a wide variety of sounds is possible.

G7 Stereo Pair

g7_boxSmall.jpg

g7_1Small.jpg

g7_2Small.jpg

g7_3Small.jpg

A pair of G7 mics with dale capsule + thiersch capsule mount. Very sweet sounding, compared to an C414 it is much clearer in the bottom (less boomy and rumbly) and the high end isn't as hyped, but still present and detailed. Also very quiet for a tube mic.

Trident S80 Racking

Trident_FrontSmall.jpg

Trident_BackSmall.jpg

Finally my two good ol' british channels are working! I repaired the completely ripped-apart modules about a year ago, but it took ages to finalise the enclosure (many thanks to wood-Michael and aluminium-Frank!). Added a nice PSU with switchable Phantom, Gain-Pot instead of the channel fader (the "lunchbox" is already big enough ;). Mic/Line IP + Transformer balanced OP + a nice broad and musical EQ in the middle is all one could wish for.

V1170 + 1176LN Channelstrip

V1170_1176_1frontSmall.jpg

V1170_1176_open3TopSmall.jpg

Channelstrip with two similarly named untis: BFE V1170 Mic/Line Preamp (huge Haufe/Pikatron trafos, although filled with a lot of ICs) + a trusty 1176 (mnats Rev J) form a perfect pair for tracking purposes. Relais-bypass for the compressor and igor DI/Phantom/Phase/Pad board.

Turbo SSL

ssl_1frontSmall.jpg

ssl_open2backSmall.jpg

My second SSL, this on a straightforward "original" clone, Sifam PPM VU with led illumination, dbx vcas, permanently in turbo mode, hardware bypass + non-onboard PSU. Haven't had time to compare the sound to my first ssl build, but it works perfectly.

Stereo W295b Racking

w295b_frontSmall.jpg

w295b_topSmall.jpg

Rack job of a Siemens W295b EQ Pair. Added relay bypass + active leds, very simple but sweet sounding three band eq.

D-La2a

d-la2a_frontSmall.jpg

d-la2a_topSmall.jpg

Volkers infamous d-la2a design (building was a breeze + works perfectly after 1st power up). Used "original" Sowter clones (1009 + 1010) and stepped Elma switches for easier recall. (25k pot + 75k resistor is a must on these things and brings the gain in a useful range). Matched tubes, matched T4 cells = close to perfect stereo tracking. This unit is also quieter and has less hum than my mono 3RU La2a build (what a waste of rackspace). It's tough to fit the tubes in a 2U case, but it can be done.

2-1176revD

1176RevD_FrontSmall.jpg

1176RevD_OpenSmall.jpg

UTC P12 input (octal o12) / ed anderson output. 20dB (1dB Steps) switched Elma T-Pad, switched Elma output, attack/release are pots, but will be replaced by switches once I find a cheaper alternative to the elmas :)

GDIY511x Rack

gdiy51x_01frontSmall.jpg

gdiy51x_02backSmall.jpg

gdiy51xPSU_01frontSmall.jpg

gdiy51xPSU_open01topSmall.jpg

Sifam VU Meters

sifamVU_1frontSmall.jpg

sifamVU_open1topSmall.jpg

nice VU Meters, JLM Buffer Kit, that's it

AST (Neumann) W1390 Stereo Fader Racking

fader_01frontSmall.jpg

fader_open02frontSmall.jpg

Excellent active faders, for my non-meter bridge Studer B67 taperecorder

TG12413 Zener Limiter

tg12413_1frontSmall.jpg

tg12413_open2closeSmall.jpg

Festers boards, diodes very closely matched (excellent stereo tracking, even with the original hold control). Switchable IC / Trafo balancing with Edcor 10k:10k on the input for a very mellow "tapey" sound. Absolutely in love with this thing - so versatile!

Telefunken V672 Stereo Racking

telefunkenV672_01topSmall.jpg

telefunkenV672_open02psuSmall.jpg

Volker PSU, JLM GoBetween, two switchable input impedances, stepped gain control, sweet and still affordable preamps with character, especially with low-impedance inputs.

Siemens V72 Stereo Racking

siemensV72_01frontSmall.jpg

siemensV72_open01topSmall.jpg

Olaf/Volker "Esoteric" Phantom PSU + SlowStart boards. switched T-Pad attenuator, JLM GoBetween - 34dB of tube heaven :)

EQN 51X Module

EQN_01Small.jpg

EQN_02topSmall.jpg

A pair of Peter's beautiful Neve 1084 EQ modules was my first 51X (500-) series build, no metalwork, no psu, no hassle :D -- GO 51X Audio!

NV73 51X Module

nv73_01Small.jpg

nv73_02topSmall.jpg

nv73EQNrackSmall.jpg

And a pair of David's pres to go with my eq's - make sure to have at least one, the in- or output linked to 0V/GND (not Case/Earth) on your 511 rack to prevent nasty oscillation.

Ribbon Booster & Impedance Converter

ribBoo_impCon_01Small.jpg

Two channel microphone toolboxes for my cheapo ribbons. Another build from Dr. Hau (with circuit ideas by PRR) out of the sound&recording magazine.

Ribbon Booster & Impedance Converter

jensamp_01Small.jpg

jensamp_02topSmall.jpg

A pair of Jensamps to fill up my 51X rack. Super-easy build (perfect for a rainy sunday afternoon) and very thick sounding pres, love them!

Many many thanks the big contributors of this place for all the incredible work to make such great projects like those available for everyone!

happy DIY,
christoph

Where did you get the pcbs / plans for the TG12413 Zener Limiter build?

Is there anything around? I haven't ever seen a build as yours so far.

your work is amazing!

Where did you get the knobs for the Laz Eq's?  Those look like they would function better then mine.

Hi !
i just saw your nice additions to this topic,
congrats !!
i've read your advice about NV73 pres :
"make sure to have at least one, the in- or output linked to 0V/GND (not Case/Earth)
on your 511 rack to prevent nasty oscillation."
as a french, i'm not sure to translate this sentence correctly, can you precise it please ?
i 'm also building a TG limiter, and would like to know if you would agree to share your front panel design ?
i hoep you're ok,
regards,
Francois

I'd love to see a few pics of this kit in it's 'native habitat'!

What a gorgeous collection.

Keep it up.

oh, and some sound files of any tunes?

Cheers!
Ev.

Hi!
Is the 2-1176LN panel available to buy, or did you make your own?
I have two of the MNATS Rev J boards and I'd like to do it as a dual config in one enclosure, but I'd prefer not to have a DIY panel with DYMO sticky labels if I can help it!
Thanks in advance!
Ev.  (AUSTRALIA)

Great job! really!
I'd like to ask you some clue on Siemens-telefunken V72 racking...I see you have arranged a Gain switch! Or is an attenuator? Which mic input front-end you have used? it seems to be a JLM...i've searched around good info on those tips...
Can you help me?

Hi Christoph!

Just wanted to tell you, you've been an enormous inspiration to me building these things. And I do admit that i've almost copied exactly some of your builds (my G-Pultecs are identical to yours).

Thanks!!!!

Hi Crisotop,

I was wondering if you could possibly help me. I recently purchased a rack of 5 BFE 1170's. I noticed you used one of these in one of your superb builds, so you must be the guy to talk to. Very little on the web and can't find schematics anywhere. Would you have a copy you could email to me or point me to somewhere/one I can get them?

I'm not an engineer, just a musician with a studio, so not very technically minded, but I believe that with most of these line amp modules, the gain can be raised closer to mic pre levels. I have a guy who does all of my work - he's very good, but doesn't have specific knowledge on any of these broadcast modules. I live in Ireland - knowledge on this gear is thin on the ground. If it's not too much trouble, would you provide me with details of exactly how t can be done, I could pass it on to him to do the mods.

Many thanks in advance

Spike

thestudio said:
On your D-La2a case what did you use on the front face plate on top of the aluminum plate? The black plate is a thin aluminum stamp??? Where can you get those made?

Sorry for the late response, my DIY activities are a bit on hold right now....

My "greytone" labelled cases were all made by nrg-Frank.

Where did you get the pcbs / plans for the TG12413 Zener Limiter build? Is there anything around? I haven't ever seen a build as yours so far.

I bought them from uncle fester as part of a one-time groupbuy - they are not that easy to build, maybe a reason for not that many finished units..

your work is amazing! Where did you get the knobs for the Laz Eq's?  Those look like they would function better then mine.

cheers for the kind words - those knobs are regular sifams, as found on many commercial products. you can customise them by adding different caps, pointers, etc...

i've read your advice about NV73 pres :
"make sure to have at least one, the in- or output linked to 0V/GND (not Case/Earth)
on your 511 rack to prevent nasty oscillation."
as a french, i'm not sure to translate this sentence correctly, can you precise it please ?

The 511 Rack has Jumpers to link Audio Ground to either PSU Ground ("0V") or Case/Mains Earth. Either the audio in- or output has to be linked to PSU Ground.

I'd love to see a few pics of this kit in it's 'native habitat'! What a gorgeous collection. Keep it up. oh, and some sound files of any tunes? Cheers!
Ev.
Is the 2-1176LN panel available to buy, or did you make your own?
I have two of the MNATS Rev J boards and I'd like to do it as a dual config in one enclosure, but I'd prefer not to have a DIY panel with DYMO sticky labels if I can help it!
Thanks in advance!
Ev.  (AUSTRALIA)

There you go - added a studio pic ;) The 1176 panel was also made by www.frontpanels.de

Great job! really!
I'd like to ask you some clue on Siemens-telefunken V72 racking...I see you have arranged a Gain switch! Or is an attenuator? Which mic input front-end you have used? it seems to be a JLM...i've searched around good info on those tips...
Can you help me?

Thanks! I built a stepped t-attenuator as an output pad, the input is a "regular" jlm go-between.

The DOA's in the 312's look like they might have germanium cans in them.. I wonder.

nope, no germanium in there - stock 2520 config

Hi Christoph!

Just wanted to tell you, you've been an enormous inspiration to me building these things. And I do admit that i've almost copied exactly some of your builds (my G-Pultecs are identical to yours).

Thanks!!!!

very flattering to hear, but I'm just merely copying as well...

I was wondering if you could possibly help me. I recently purchased a rack of 5 BFE 1170's. I noticed you used one of these in one of your superb builds, so you must be the guy to talk to. Very little on the web and can't find schematics anywhere. Would you have a copy you could email to me or point me to somewhere/one I can get them?

Hey spike, just send me a pm with you mail, I got some documents flying around that might be helpful...

Great job! really!
Can you help me?

Thanks! I built a stepped t-attenuator as an output pad, the input is a "regular" jlm go-between.

great! which phantom power supply you have used? do you have a link?

I used an "old" Volker / [silent:arts] pcb, that one of the nrg-recording forum members designed - I couldn't find a link, but any 48V supply would do as long as you use a slow-start ramp for the 48V. The V72 uses a very high ratio on the input trafo, the short 48V pulse would fry the insulation sooner or later when turning phantom on & off.

hth, C

Hi Christoph,

great work!
Can you tell me where did you get the knobs & pushbuttons for you 2nd ssl comp?
I'm also located in Germany :)

And is there any source where to get the sifam meter around here?

Or could I also use this one from Mike (Hairball Audio)?
http://hairballaudio.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=61

Back