Current draw of 9 TL072s at dualrail 15V

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freebird92

Hi.

I drawing a board of guitar preamp. It will be based on the preamp section of Fender Jazz King amp with out Clipping indicator section, Line/DI out section but include spring reverb driver.

This preamp works with 9 TL072s. Since I want play it with 9V DC power supply I am looking for a proper daulrail 15V DC-DC converter for it. I already have a 3W DCDC converter(TRACO TEC3-0923).

But I wonder that the 3w dc-dc converter can supply enough power for 9 TL072s work properly.

Is it okay that I go with 3W DC DC converter?

Fender Jazz king amp Shcematic: https://www.zikinf.com/manuels/fender-jazz-king-schema-interne-2-28888.pdf

https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tl072.pdf - P19: Supply current, (each amplifier): 1.4 to 2.5mA - so a total of 18 amplifiers (9x2) takes 25.2 to 45mA

..plus whatever you're planning to dissipate in the circuit.

I would go ahead and try it - it just may work..

/Jakob E.

Thanks!!
The supply current of the data sheet is assumed to be "Vout=0".
Even if there is a Vout (load), is there a big difference from no load supply current?

Even if there is a Vout (load), is there a big difference from no load supply current?
It depends very much on the loads the opamps have to drive and the operating level.
For example, with a 10k load, operating at 0dBu (1.1V peak) the current delivered to the load is about 0.1mA. So it's only a tiny fraction of the idle current. If you take a 1.1 factor you're safe.
So the current draw would be about 50mA max in your case, for a total power of 30x0.05 => 1.5W.
Now if you want to run this preamp in high-gain domain (which it isn't designed for), there may be an additional 10 or 20% increase, which is well within the possibilities of this 3W converter.

It depends very much on the loads the opamps have to drive and the operating level.
For example, with a 10k load, operating at 0dBu (1.1V peak) the current delivered to the load is about 0.1mA. So it's only a tiny fraction of the idle current. If you take a 1.1 factor you're safe.
So the current draw would be about 50mA max in your case, for a total power of 30x0.05 => 1.5W.
Now if you want to run this preamp in high-gain domain (which it isn't designed for), there may be an additional 10 or 20% increase, which is well within the possibilities of this 3W converter.

Thank you!

Back