Custom Tube Console: Year Three

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matriachamplification

Wall Thomas
~~~
For full details on how you can build your own Custom Tube Console please visit...
customtubeconsoles
...or connect with the designer on GDIY @ruffrecords

~~~

Hello GDIY,

Lets address our blunders up front
  • We ordered inductors for Helios cards and not Redd cards that we have.
  • We (I) found out capacitors hold a shock. Fun lesson
  • Kids & the Cats. We need more room for our Home-School-House Workshop
  • $1600 spent on the wrong parts (mostly refunded)
  • Designed the monitoring section all wrong
  • Shopping for passive components. Most belittling exerinece in life
I started years ago having to google BOM (Bill Of Materials). To give an idea of where a beginner can start from. Most misunderstandings boil down to crosstalk in meanings.

That said we can look at our console design issues.

~~~
The Power of the Twin Line Amp

Simply put, we have no need for a tracking console. I need a monitor controller. What we got was a 12 Channel Spatial Audio Mastering & Monitoring Console or SAMM-12.

Mastering Consoles are designed to offer playback on multiple speakers (or monitors) for accurate referencing. To achieve accurate referencing switching between speakers needs to be invisible as well as having solo and mute functions (etc) for control.

SAMM-12 operates on the same principles as a mastering console that's been designed to offer playback on 6 pairs of speakers or 12 monitors. The only difference is SAMM-12 references playback is on ALL 12 speakers simultaneously for Dolby Atmos 3D mixing (which was first researched by Abbey Roads in the 40’s but was dubbed Spatial Audio. Since we are building a REDD (Abbey Road) modeled console, the name stuck).

Fortunately we have 7 TLA or Twin Line Amp cards that should give us enought o buld a 12 channel monitor controller as well as headphone + talkback capabilities. I think. Design layouts for SAMM-12 will be in the Drawing Board Forum in time.

We will update our console build in the mixer/monitor section SAMM-12 asap.
~~~

For some time I have struggled to stay motivated on this build for 2 main reasons... capacitors and resistors. Nutshell: I've spend 90% of my time searching for these right parts. It is WAY outside my abilities and we had to make the decision to move on. As a solution we decided to build out as much of our console without capacitors or resistors. We will post whats needed once I get over the rage caused by this exercise.

~~~

The House That Thermionics Built

Since my wife, son and daughter have caught the design bug we've agreed to remodel our farmhouse into a seasonal buisness with commercial hot sauce kitchen and concept remodeled Studio home.

KUBRICK acousticlly designed furniture

My families first endevour into audio design with focus on acoustically relevant furniture. All out products are made with wood milled from our farm giving it a cool DIY vibe. What is nice is we can prototype her designs while remolding our farm. We are leaning on Martin' design expertise to create some early concepts starting with the desk for SAMM-12.

This means.... Huge upgrades!!! From a 8 x 8 spare bedroom into a 20 x 20 x 10 - 2 level Workshop. I need to insulate the upstairs, add a propane fireplace and finish the bathroom but its easy work.

~~~

That is a lot of info and we will be breaking it up into specific forums but wanted to chat over some brews first.

Any thoughts?

Wall and the Hot Sauce Family

Today we stand one stand one step closer to the happiness.
Transformers FOUND!

From Sowter in regards to the 9610
"Replaces our type 1948 for the Ian Thompson-Bell mixer."

Now we cannot be 100% certain but I will say that with a fair amount of confidence we found the right parts.

Now to further venture into the realm of transformers we need 3 x Lundhl mic input transformers that will work with the CTC requirements.

Wall

For some time I have struggled to stay motivated on this build for 2 main reasons... capacitors and resistors. Nutshell: I've spend 90% of my time searching for these right parts. It is WAY outside my abilities and we had to make the decision to move on. As a solution we decided to build out as much of our console without capacitors or resistors. We will post whats needed once I get over the rage caused by this exercise.

As a n00b who recently decided to jump into audio electronics from scratch, I feel your pain.

Back