D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this week i finished my DAOC.

DAOCfront01%20(Large).jpg

DAOC00%20(Large).jpg

DAOC01%20(Large).jpg

DAOC02%20(Large).jpg

DAOC05%20(Large).jpg

DAOCfront02%20(Large).jpg

also a RMAA measurement:
http://gasman.lima-city.de/diy/DAOC/DAOC.htm

a big thanks to analag and volker for this great projekt !!!

btw a question to other DAOC builders und users, how many gain have yours? is ~10dB in the range?

awesome and congrats - very nice case! I've mine finished too - the only thing that bothers me is that gain reduction metering is way off. I still can't figure out when and when not to use the 3k6 terminating resistor on the sifam al series vu's. how are they behaving in your unit?

cheers
christoph

i have the 3k6 always in series on the VU meters.
after the 3k6 i switch to the output and to the GR-Meter.
with the 3k6 i have exactly +4dbu @ 0dB
for calibrating the GR meter, just replace the R126 (R226) with a 50k trim (start with 50k default value on the trim).
then calibrate it with RV104 (RV204) and with the 50k Trims.

max:

Definitely a nice build !!!

Did you notice the slight high frequency roll off in the right channel. Probably not ideal for stereo use.

Yet another one for me to appreciate
icon_wink.gif
Some use a 600:10K which is a 1:4 step up for more gain.

analag

Hi Max,
a really nice looking D-AOC you´ve got there, congrats!! I never thought that these creme chickenheads look so fine with black frontpanels. I always hesitated to use them, but your pictures motivate me to try them for my next project. (your G9 is great, too !)
regards
Bernd

[quote author="Brizco"]max, are these haufe rk255/1 ? if so, for what reason is the resistor besides the channel 1 trafo?[/quote]

yes, these are haufe rk255/1 on inputs. the resistor is not connected to any wire. i used an old board to fix the transformer. i forgot the desolder the resistor.

Has anyone figured out yet how to lower the threshold while retaining the original compression curve? The compression curves with the LEDs in parallel look different. I'm planning to finish my unit and I'm interfacing my outboard to digital converters with a maximum of +4db.

Thanks!
Gregor

BTW, is there a software (PC) to measure compression characteristics with a sound card and get printouts?

i forgot the desolder the resistor.

I'm sure you ment the resistor is connected in a secret, very special way and improves the sound of one input channel to the single most awesomest compressor ever built! (never admit in a public forum that you just forgot something :D)

christoph

[quote author="living sounds"]Has anyone figured out yet how to lower the threshold while retaining the original compression curve? The compression curves with the LEDs in parallel look different. I'm planning to finish my unit and I'm interfacing my outboard to digital converters with a maximum of +4db.

Thanks!
Gregor

BTW, is there a software (PC) to measure compression characteristics with a sound card and get printouts?[/quote]

visit ARTA STEPS http://www.fesb.hr/~mateljan/arta/

Here is my version. I will replace this amateur photos with glamour shots later.
daoc%20front%203.jpg

daoc-front-closed.jpg

Panels are painted at local paint shop, they have a very cool britsh racing green color.
I used Altec trannies to match the sound with the look  :wink:

daoc-tranny-details.jpg

daoc%20meter%20blitz.jpg

daoc-open-3.jpg

daoc%20open%202.jpg

WOW - an ALtec D-AOC :cool: incl. the transformers.
congratulations, very nice and singular design :thumb:
oh, and for sure a nice and clean build inside :grin: :grin: :grin:
how do you like the sound ?

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]
how do you like the sound ?[/quote]

I have to take it to my studio and do some listening tests, as far as I can tell from my headphones it sounds wonderful. Updates later.
Thanks for liking BTW... :grin:

Hi Holger,
that´s indeed a very interesting approach to the D-AOC. I love it! Haven´t I seen another Altec like build from you? Do you stock them? :grin:
regards
Bernd

Bernd, I 've collected Altec stuff over the years, now it's time to use the stuff for green DIY audio devices :grin:
The "other" build is the API 312 in Altec clothes:
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=22584

Back