D-AOC PCBs - the building and help Thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
II saw that many have mounted with the heatsink off the card ....
is to prevent overheating?
Thanks

Hey guys,

did some improvements on my D-AOC yesterday. Kubi mod etc.  The unit sounded great but I did not calibrate the meters yet. So I installed a 100k trimmer for R126 and R226 and followed the instuction posted earlier in this thread. Channel 2 is now working great. Meter tracking is a little off, but no problem for me.
But I couldn't get the first channel working right. Everytime I turn up the threshold pot the VU goes up, too. So I checked everything and found out that suddenly the NE2 lamp in ch 1 did not work. I thought that it could have something to do with the meter tracking, took out the board, soldered in a new NE2 and after powering up channel 1 did not compress any more. In and out amps are o.k. and sound great but no compression.
Checking the unit again I found out that the stereo-link wire from channel 1 got torn off the switch while soldering and maybe got contact to the power switch, which is right below the link switch in the purusha case... ;D I soldered the wire to the switch and tested again, but still no compression...

Any ideas??? Checking the pcb for a day and a half, my brain's empty now.

Benjamin

I found out that the stereo-link wire from channel 1 got torn off the switch while soldering and maybe got contact to the power switch, which is right below the link switch

Maybe the vactrol got damaged? I dont know how to test it properly but you could compare it with the working channel?

regards,
Wolfgang

I just put two new vactrols in my D-AOC, calibrated the meters again and voila...
My D-AOC works perfectly now and most of all sounds great!!!  ;D
I just tested it a bit on vocals and love it.
Meters tracking is good, btw.

Benjamin

After a DIY break of more than a year I finally made it to put the longtime finished PCB in a case. Here´s some pictures from my DAOC on the bench while meter calibration. I replaced R126/226 with a 100k trimmer to get a better GR tracking. Some of Kubis mods are installed. Sidechain filter frequency is 200-something Hz. Input iron is Stancor/MCI 4:1 reversed, output is Edcor WSM. Tubes are Siemens/Telefunken, meters are NOS Philips. Unfortunately I could not yet listen to it. There´s some 2W resistors which I have to replace because they get very hot and are placed too close to caps. They will damage the caps if running for a longer time. Wiring is a mess, of course.

normal_000_0357.JPG

normal_000_0358.JPG

Thanks to Analag, Volker, Kubi and Frank "NRGrecording" for making this happen.

Eje2005 said:
Soeren_DK said:
Anybody done some drawings of the off-board-wiring?

Cheers
Soren

There´s not much to draw up.
What are you wondering about?
I can't figure out how the stereo switch is working?

@Volker
Do you have the layout for the Haufe trafo pcb you have in your unit? I have some 255/1 I want to use..

Cheers
Soren

Of course... hehe.. stupid question.
How does it work? What does the stereo signal do to both units? How do you control the stereo unit?

Can I use any Lundahl for this project?
I have some LL1540 and some LL5402 laying around..

Cheers
Soren

not certain so if im wrong someone correct me.
i believe the sidechain signals are combined and then sent to the vactrol. this way both sides recieve the same signal and compress equally.
the two pin molex confused me.      (-) remains unused

seavote said:
not certain so if im wrong someone correct me.
i believe the sidechain signals are combined and then sent to the vactrol. this way both sides recieve the same signal and compress equally.
absolutely correct

seavote said:
the two pin molex confused me.       (-) remains unused
there are no one pin molex available ;D
and I like to use shielded cables, and connected (-) to ground.

Soeren_DK said:
How do you control the stereo unit?
the controls of both sides influence the gain reduction in stereo mode.

@Volker
Do you have the layout for the Haufe trafo pcb you have in your unit? I have some 255/1 I want to use..

Cheers
Soren

Back