D-Control PSU question

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mundox

Hi all. In my studio I have a Digidesign D-Control
Recently, the LEDs on the main unit stopped working, no lights. But unit works as normal.
So I ordered a replacement PSU which is this https://power.sager.com/snp-z10b-3979628.html

Long story short, when I replaced the PSU, the lights didn't come on. I thought it must be DOA..
But what I figured out after couple of hours of head scratching that the new PSU works only if the heatsink is not connected to the chassis.
(there is a Z shaped metal bit that screws on top of the existing heatsink on the PSU to connect to the chassis of the D-Control)

This seems peculiar to me as the PSU is identical to the old one. Could there be some other failure in the other circuit boards that caused this to begin with?
Right now my only plan is to find something (what?) to isolate the Z shaped metal bit from the chassis and still have some kind of heat dissipation.
But I'd love to find out why all of a sudden this is happening.

Thanks for any insight!
Cheers

Speculation but are you certain the PSU was faulty? There me be another part or parts that failed causing the leds to not power but the unit work.
Yeah, definitely. It has 2 separate PSUs, one to drive the logic and one for LEDs only. It's a known issue with these boards, it has been replaced multiple times already.

So, I figured out the issue. On the old model they used isolators to connect the regulators to the heatsink bracket on the PCB. The new ones don't have isolators. Quite the design flaw if you ask me. I used silicon isolators and plastic sleeves for the screws to mount it on the chassis without connection. All is good!

Latest posts

Back