Dachman Audio Capsules?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
analogguru said:
So why don't you fix it by putting some hot wax into the metal shielding ?

Because I didn’t know you could do that, hence why I’m asking. 

Is it not ok for the transformer metal to touch the shield metal? 

RuudNL said:
Does it have the same amount of HF boost as the original Neumann K87 capsule?
I don't have a real Neumann K87 capsule to compare with. 

I have built several of Dan's D-87 boards with a Mic Parts RK-87, a 3U Audio K-87, a couple cheap K-87 copies off EBay, and the DA-K87.  They each used the same components, other than the transformers, which were Cinemag CM 13113, 3U Audio GZT-87, and  cheap T-13 from EBay.  The DA-K87/13113 combo is the best sounding, followed by 3U Audio K-87/GZT-87, at least for my ears and uses (vocals and acoustic guitar).  It seems bright, but smooth and full to me.

Recording Engineer said:
I know. This is why people try alternatives ways. Plus, it makes things more interesting and inspires more creativity.

If just looking for a true replacement, I’m not sure anything but the original is going to satisfy. Then it gets down to how original the product is within the same manufacturer. Then we’re at gearslutz level. Slippery slope.

The main problem is that at the moment you have to change the HF feedback, you have no idea of what you are doing! Most people don't have an advanced measurement setup, so you have to do the change 'by ear'.
With the result that you can create a completely different microphone!
I have measured many K67/K87 capsules in the past and the conclusion is that they are all different.
To my surprise the RK87 by MicParts was almost identical to the original K87 from Neumann.
(But maybe I was just lucky...)
That is why I asked about the HF response. Ideally, it should be a drop in replacement, without any changes to the circuit.

kimothebeatmaker said:
I don't have any other microhones with a transformer in it.  All of the mic pics online have the shield already covering the transformer. 

Couldn't you just help me out and tell me?

Usually, the transformer is wrapped in foam plastic, to prevent it from rattling in the shielding cup.
Personally, I wouldn't use wax or stuff like that. (I already imagine the mess you will get...)

RuudNL said:
Usually, the transformer is wrapped in foam plastic, to prevent it from rattling in the shielding cup.
Personally, I wouldn't use wax or stuff like that. (I already imagine the mess you will get...)
45 years ago it was a common practice:
index.php

At least a better solution than glueing the transformer inside the mic, like shure did/does it.

Attachments

• mic-transformer_inside_(c)-by-analogguru.jpg
    mic-transformer_inside_(c)-by-analogguru.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 639
RuudNL said:
The main problem is that at the moment you have to change the HF feedback, you have no idea of what you are doing! Most people don't have an advanced measurement setup, so you have to do the change 'by ear'.
With the result that you can create a completely different microphone!
I have measured many K67/K87 capsules in the past and the conclusion is that they are all different.
To my surprise the RK87 by MicParts was almost identical to the original K87 from Neumann.
(But maybe I was just lucky...)
That is why I asked about the HF response. Ideally, it should be a drop in replacement, without any changes to the circuit.

I see what you’re saying, but if MicParts is the best option for a k87 replacement and a true-replacement is the number one priority, I definitely stand-by sticking to biting the price-bullet with Neumann. Beesneez is good enough for me though for a replacement when price is ahead (it usually is). Most of the time though, I’m not looking for a replacement at all and use Luke Audio.

gyraf said:
Jakob E.
Hello, could you expand on your comment please? I'm assuming that you're not very fond of "the peloso business model". I might give this kit a try, so I want to make sure that I'm not getting fooled. Thank you.

as already mentioned:

Another instance of the peluso business model..

/Jakob E.

Hello guys,

I made a video on the Dachman Audio DA-87i kit, which is their version of a vintage U87. Watch here, if you’re interested:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP7HoXldptw

Claudio

The model is about buying cheap chinese stuff, selling very expensive, claiming addition of "tuning", "rebuilding", "adjusting" or other such additions of legitimization by making it appear non-chinese.

When in reality what you do is simple QC.

/Jakob E.

gyraf said:
When in reality what you do is simple QC.
Aah, but QC has its value (and I know you know it, Jakob)  :).
Sorting the wheat from the chaff is a rightful way of making a living, as long as there is a good statistical probability (even if you found a perfect sow's ear, would it make a suitable purse?), and as long as the selection method is valid and approved. You can't rely solely on the words of a guy who says "it sounds like a real Neumann".
[temporary hijack]On a different level, I found myself in a situation where I had to match two channels of x-over filters. I checked the price and availability of 1% caps and chose to sort out a batch of about 100 cheap chinese caps. I use a cheap dedicated meter (did I mention I'm cheap?) https://www.amazon.com/Longruner-Pocketable-Multifunctional-Backlight-Transistor/dp/B07C5LC486/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=capacitor+tester&qid=1614673196&sr=8-9
and after a half hour I had about a dozen of caps that were well into the +/-1% window.
This has already paid for the capmeter. [\temporary hijack]

Completely agree that QC is extremely valuable, and the component that makes this work in the first place!

But QC is simply not the value they claim to add - the operation is entirely about smokescreening this fact :)

As this Group name includes the letters 'DIY' in title I would have thought many of the participants who have found their way here here might have been first attracted to the 'Do It Yourself' aspect of this Group title?

I have bought a dozen or so 'cheap' Chinese 34mm LDCs - of various descriptions - over the last couple of years, and have found them all good value for money (The most I have paid for any one capsule is around £30).
They are most certainly different from each other - sometimes even those that are presented as the same device!
And they respond differently when fitted to various types of circuitry -- The same capsule sounds quite different when it has 3 or 4 Volts of RF applied to it, as opposed to 60 or 70 Volts of DC polarisation.

I have enjoyed experimenting on the true hobby 'Do It Yourself' tradition, and have discovered - as I feel sure many others have - that you don't need to spend a lot of money to create a very reasonable quality LDC microphone?

Perhaps more folk should trust in their own abilities, and buy a selection of cheap capsules rather than spend significant money on some 'boutique' capsule or kit that may well be simply be based on the 'selection' of  cheap Chinese parts by someone who claims to be an 'expert'?
Cheaper - and more fun? - to simply 'dive in' with some cheap parts, and trust your own ears!
You'll quickly discover that not all the claims of excellence in hobby mic kits are necessarily true! :)

;D actually, walk into your local discount music shop and just insist on listening to every and all they have of some cheap microphone. You'll probably be surprised about the amount of variation - but also by the fact that a good portion of them tend to sound really good, some even stellar.. (that is, providing no one were there on selection duty before you)

then you just buy the one or two that suits your taste the best :)

In our old studios we used to buy SM58's this way

abbey road d enfer said:
[temporary hijack]On a different level, I found myself in a situation where I had to match two channels of x-over filters. I checked the price and availability of 1% caps and chose to sort out a batch of about 100 cheap chinese caps. I use a cheap dedicated meter (did I mention I'm cheap?) https://www.amazon.com/Longruner-Pocketable-Multifunctional-Backlight-Transistor/dp/B07C5LC486/ref=sr_1_9?dchild=1&keywords=capacitor+tester&qid=1614673196&sr=8-9
and after a half hour I had about a dozen of caps that were well into the +/-1% window.
This has already paid for the capmeter. [\temporary hijack]

I have several versions of that meter. I got mine from ebay. Very useful and inexpensive.

Seems like the real question is how he managed to get seemingly decent 87 bodies when no one else seems to be able to - and customized no less! Honestly, that's one reason alone to order the kit. Nice-looking donor bodies seem to be out of stock everywhere else.

Also, do we actually know for a fact that that the transformers and capsules are Chinese? It's very possible they are, it just seems like folks here are a little quick to throw stones these days...

Nope. They are obviously 3U capsules from Guosheng, and 30$ RK type capsules readily available anywhere. They even use the same images everyone else uses.

If you need a decent body, it costs 20$ and you get a PCB and electret capsule you can use later.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqw3N7d

If you want the exact same body they use, you ask Shuaiyin for a SYT u87 type body.

No one here is quick to throw stones, these are the parts that have been available for ages now, and a lot of us use them quite often.

If it looks like a duck...

Back