Dad takes down town's internet by mistake to get his kids offline

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of decades ago we moved into a new house on a small estate. After we moved in, the builders were still there finishing off the house next to ours. They insisted on playing their FM radio rather loudly all day long. At that time I had a test oscillator that covered the FM band. I stuck about a metre of wire in the output BNC and swept the frequency control until it hit the station they were on. FM capture effect did the rest.

Cheers

Ian

I used to have a CB (Citizen's Band, 27 MHz) nut on the other side of the road in the seventies. Not a techie, but he bought a 1000W Italian HF power amp that came in on the phono input of my Luxman amp, the TV and some other stuff. No shielding would prevent it.

I just put a 100 mW noise transmitter that covered the entire CB band directed to his antenna.

His power amp still broadcasted to Malaysia or so, but he had no reception, so he found another hobby, CB fox hunt. Driving around 'till you found the transmitter 'fox'.

Anybody remember the CB rage? In the USA it had been going on for decades. It wasn't until the late seventies we were allowed to use that band without a HAM license. I wonder if the CB license still exists here?

I use the 40 MHz band for wireless audio with Sennheiser SK1012/EM2004. Was reserved for RC toys, but none of those still seem around. Some very cheap RC toys on 27 MHz still are sold, but most moved to 2.2 GHz.

I think there were a lot of illegal AM CB rigs in the UK before CB was legalised. But all that kit became immediately obsolete because the government licensed narrow band FM CB only.

Cheers

Ian

I remember CB radio being held in low regard. For chuckles one Christmas I bought my niece and nephew (both quite young at the time) a pair of CB radio walkie talkies so they could talk to each other and irritate the adults trying to "10-4 good buddy" with each other. My niece and nephew did not have a firm grasp on the press to talk and then release protocol, and I didn't teach them.

I don't remember what ever happened to them, probably got binned when the batteries went flat.

JR

As a child in the 1960's, one of the assistant Scoutmasters in my troop had a semi-tall tower with a rotating yagi (?) in his backyard. He also had a large linear amp and when he would key it up, the lights in his "shack" would dim a bit. lol

In the 1970's when I was doing PA installs in churches, CB radio was a big deal with the truckers. I learned a LOT about grounding, bypassing of the mic lines with small ceramic caps, etc. since the truckers all used 1000W linear amplifiers.

11:00 Sunday morning church service: "Breaker Breaker 19! Passing through OKC on I-35 and want a wh0re to suck my d!ck."

<g>

Bri

As a child in the 1960's, one of the assistant Scoutmasters in my troop had a semi-tall tower with a rotating yagi (?) in his backyard. He also had a large linear amp and when he would key it up, the lights in his "shack" would dim a bit. lol

In the 1970's when I was doing PA installs in churches, CB radio was a big deal with the truckers. I learned a LOT about grounding, bypassing of the mic lines with small ceramic caps, etc. since the truckers all used 1000W linear amplifiers.

11:00 Sunday morning church service: "Breaker Breaker 19! Passing through OKC on I-35 and want a wh0re to suck my d!ck."

<g>

Bri

No one used 52ohm capacitors to defeat the spurious? Or a toroid? Dad was a ham and ran full KW. He would have to help a few neighbors out. But it was not required as manufactures should have had their equipment shielded properly.

No one used 52ohm capacitors to defeat the spurious? Or a toroid? Dad was a ham and ran full KW. He would have to help a few neighbors out. But it was not required as manufactures should have had their equipment shielded properly.
Somewhere I have a photo of my dad's (RIP) old ham shack, from his single days living in NYC probably circa 1930s. When he settled down in NJ to marry my mom and make babies, he shrugged off his bachelor toys. Years after he died I spent time perusing the ARRL handbook but never mastered CW code to secure my amateur license, because I didn't have the patience. I did string up a decent length antenna for SWL, accumulating QSL cards from numerous countries.

As I recall the outlaw truckers who put big linear amps on their CW rigs were not disciplined about overload so generated lots of frequency splatter from clipping the big linears.

JR

I've been a ham since early 1970's. Great for your Dad. My whole life has had hams in it.

And cb'ers did do a lot of that stuff.

Back