Dangerous 2bus+

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only piece of Dangerous gear I haven't heard is the compressor. Everything else has been wildly unimpressive, their DACs, the BAX, that whole old mastering series, the old 2 bus.

IMO one of the most overrated pro audio companies going, tenuous links to Muth who has tenuous links to Sterling has been spun into a folk fiction that sells gear to the GS crowd.

The only piece of Dangerous gear I haven't heard is the compressor
I heard it when at Bob Katz place with Heikki's compressor on some Disneyish sounding vocal/instrumental track. Very neutral if that's a better word than others. Heikki's compressor walked over it easily on that material at least. And that was before his mastering modifications which would've allowed Bob to use it more the way he would've liked.

I remember years ago when the DBox was the thing everyone had to have. Everyone and their mother was saying it was the greatest thing in the world. A few years later everyone I knew sold it. Seemed like an ok piece of gear, but an answer to a problem no one actually had. What little I've heard from the the 2Bus+ has been similar to Scott2000's experience. I'm afraid I would tend to agree with ruairioflaherty but I would like to proved wrong.

The only positives I heard were from people looking to max out their digital overs while mixing.

I heard it when at Bob Katz place with Heikki's compressor on some Disneyish sounding vocal/instrumental track. Very neutral if that's a better word than others. Heikki's compressor walked over it easily on that material at least
Which compressor from Heikki?
I remember years ago when the DBox was the thing everyone had to have. Everyone and their mother was saying it was the greatest thing in the world. A few years later everyone I knew sold it. Seemed like an ok piece of gear, but an answer to a problem no one actually had. What little I've heard from the the 2Bus+ has been similar to Scott2000's experience.
Yes, it's really interesting to look back and see how the pro audio industry, like all others, is subject to fads.

Yes, it's really interesting to look back and see how the pro audio industry, like all others, is subject to fads.

Indeed, and I've certainly fallen for a few over the years. Funny how they never are the game-changer they claim to be. But not to derail this thread....

John, since you're in California, can you get Vintage King or Westlake Pro to let you check one out. They usually have a 30 return period at least. You're mileage may vary with it; you'll probably only truly know if you try it out.

IMO one of the most overrated pro audio companies going, tenuous links to Muth who has tenuous links to Sterling has been spun into a folk fiction that sells gear to the GS crowd.
He still does contract design work although the products aren't his idea. He was chief tech at Sterling for a bunch of years. The Sterling Bax was after his time. That was Philip Sztenderowicz. Phil says Chris got the idea from him. Phil also says the Sterling Bax is 20db quieter than the Dangerous Bax.

I ended up acquiring one via trade. Haven't tried it yet but a peek inside shows they are using Cinemag CMOQ-2S transformers and what looks like their own or a custom SMPS design. The 2 Bus LT was very underwhelming so am curious to see how this sounds.

I remember years ago when the DBox was the thing everyone had to have. Everyone and their mother was saying it was the greatest thing in the world. A few years later everyone I knew sold it. Seemed like an ok piece of gear, but an answer to a problem no one actually had. What little I've heard from the the 2Bus+ has been similar to Scott2000's experience. I'm afraid I would tend to agree with ruairioflaherty but I would like to proved wrong.

Man I'd forgotten about the DBox, those things were everywhere and awful.

find it does a good job at its price point.
Otherwise known as awful in professional lingo perhaps. Just reading through Hugh Robjohn's SOS review and it has a lot of similar terminology.

"It is a neat and compact solution that has been designed to suit a specific sub‑section of the relatively large home‑studio market"

"In general, the monitoring section performed every bit as well as you'd expect of a monitoring controller at this price"

"this is clearly of very high quality, and far better than any budget mixer that I've heard"

Last edited:
i have both the dbox and the 2bus+.

and i would not hesitate to recommend the new dbox as the added features were missed(BT, 3 monitors, headphone input select )The headphone amps are killer and the DA sounds great(slight mid push) Killer bang for the buck.

Im still using it until i can get an CS Avocet.

Re: the 2buss+ super clean and quick and the transformer drive is cool. The harmonics and fet compressor rarely find use for me but could be useful. If i was buying a ‘summing’ mixer again id get something that had individual (or pairs) of
trims and inserts like the Rupert Designs.

this being DIY fourm, im sure lots of peeps here could easily make their own summers!

+1 for the Dbox+ - it's quickly become one of those things I can't live without.

My friend has the 2bus+, he cycles premium gear out of his studio quickly if he doesn't like the way it sounds. The 2bus is still there.

Dangerous was the first out of the gate with an external summing box. They started the trend. FWIW

Dangerous was the first out of the gate with an external summing box. They started the trend. FWIW
As I have said before I wish there a valid need there. I have an improved summing technology (current source summing) that significantly reduces the N+1 noise (and phase shift, and distortion) penalty of conventional VE sum buses.

In my judgement arbitrarily good combining in the digital domain makes my technology moot.

JR

Latest posts

Back