dbx 172 SUPERGATE question.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THE GRAY

I have five beloved dbx SUPERGATES that see plenty of use and get the love they deserve, OK well most of the time... I have one unit that it was apparent that the PSU section was on the fritz in some way as it was not functioning correctly and most notably the LED intensities would dim and them become overly bright. So sounded like a simple troubleshooting session for a fix. It would and or could have been to troubleshoot the unit for PSU troubles until a bozo such as myself accidentally found the one pot on the front of the board that was obviously already cracked literally just fall off when I touched it. The break you could see like when one looks at metal fatigue and failure appeared to be there for some time through about a quarter of the board and it took a careless person such as myself to try and rotate it without the unit assembled to have it shear completely off... A sad day for me.

Anyhow that is all academic. The PSU issue still being there but of no concern until I source a replacement potentiometer. I looked at all of the usual suspects as far as supplies and found some things that looked like possible candidates for replacement. What I am concerned about is these pots are not only unique in their design, but form factor as well and after pulling up the schematics and finding the original P/N's for the pots, began to wonder if I might find anyone here that would know where to obtain an actual NOS OEM pot for the unit instead of what could end up being a difficult little potentiometer to source properly. Who knows, maybe someone has an old parts unit laying around and would be willing to sell an OEM part; that would certainly make it much easier and I can tell you, these nice pots have a feel to them that after going through all of the motions looking for a replacement, I know even if I find one with all of the specs and it will work, no new part will likely match that tight smooth unique feel these pots have and since I am anal retentive would have to remember my stupidity for eternity every time I grab that replacement knob with a totally different feel...

Here is the info I have regarding the pot. Maybe lady luck is with me and I will find an OEM drop in to make life simple and me not feel like the putz I am for being responsible for breaking the original. Thank you all in advance.

I know it is a long shot, but I would like to try...

Specs:
                "SYMAN"
50K40293    40-2093  50 K "B" 12mm Rot. Pot.  20mm knurled shaft.

If someone were to have a parts unit to scavenge, the simple way to know the difference in the two different pots used in these gates on the front and know which one I need, I broke pot number 7 of 8 on either channel and the following pots#'s as you look at the front from left to right are of the same value as well in each channel of 8 pots...

#3, #5, #6 and #7 same on both channels of the device from left to right...

Any help appreciated. Like I mentioned, getting lucky and finding a parts unit to have someone sell me a replacement or actually finding a dealer or repair shop with an extra NOS OEM part from the old days would be great and make my day; it seemed worth a try at least...

Thanks goes out to the entire community here!

Regards,
D.W.

Back