DBX 900 Series Frame - Manuals and 220V power conversion help required

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsioumpiou

Hi there!

I have recently purchased a DBX 900 Series Frame loaded with some modules. The frame was wired for 110VAC and i got it shipped from US to EU.
I am looking into performing the necessary wiring as to allow it to operate on 220VAC.

I have spent some time looking for a 900 Series Frame manual as well as schematics and/or repair manual but i can only find information on the 900A and 900FS (2 single modules version) but not the first version of 900 Series Frames.

The frame version i have does not come with a selector at the back to switch between 110VAC and 220VAC.

Is there anyone in here that has performed this power conversion or anyone with access to the 900 series frame manuals?

Thank you in advance,

Best,

N

Hmm, I don't know that there is any real difference, at least there won't be in the power transformer connections.

The biggest difference I can think of offhand is one has connections for 9 modules, the other holds 9 but one is a spare slot, only has 8 sets of connections.

Thank you
Hmm, I don't know that there is any real difference, at least there won't be in the power transformer connections.

The biggest difference I can think of offhand is one has connections for 9 modules, the other holds 9 but one is a spare slot, only has 8 sets of connections.
Thank you for your ultra fast response.

The reason i am curious about it is the back of the unit reads

"Refer to manual prior to applying power to the unit. The unit is factory set for 120VAC" also i need to swap the 750MA slow blow fuse with a 375 slow blow one for 220VAC but i am curious on the differences between the 900 and 900A schematics. I could do the rewire required on the input transformer as to operate on 220VAC but i would just like to have a glimpse on the schematics or manual to make sure i am not missing anything on a potential component that might need switching.

Best,

N

An update to anyone who might be interested in the power conversion of DBX Frames

Inside the Fuse box there is detachable small PCB card that depending on the side and orientation serves the purpose of a voltage selector (later DBX frames like the 900A have the red slider selector to swap from 110VAC to 220VAC).

In the first production production run of DBX 900 frames, the fuse-box and power cable connector assembly, is placed to the frames upside down so the PCB selector card is almost non visible (except if you know what you are looking for).

It appears there is no need to solder/de-solder straight from the transformer. As i was focused in this approach of finding the 220V line and go straight for it to the circuit, credit for troubleshooting goes to my father who had the mental strength to resist changing the wiring in this device and find a non evasive way to make it the voltage change happen.

This is the way DBX intended to set the operating voltage on this 900 series frames.

For reference i am attaching some pictures.

N.

Attachments

• DBX-900-1.jpg
    DBX-900-1.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Card Side 1.jpg
    Card Side 1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Card Side 2.jpg
    Card Side 2.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DBX-900-2.jpg
    DBX-900-2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 9
Nice that they made it easy to change the input voltage.

By the way change it for 240V and not 220v,
at least here in Portugal my supply voltage is 236V and around Europe is 230V and not 220V anylonger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mains_electricity_by_country

We have already set it for 240 (as seen in picture 4) as in Greece the rating is also 230.
I was referring earlier to the 220VAC as the old standard but you are right to point that out for future readers :)
Now the only thing pending is to get a 375mA SB fuse from Mouser since this is a denomination that i can not source locally.

For anyone wondering about the fuse type it is 3AG (6.3 mm x 32 mm). The value suggested on the fuse-box is 375mA SB though the manual refers to a 500mA. After all those years only god knows what is the proper value but i would just assume that the fuse-box value was underspeced.

Best,

N

Latest posts

Back