Decent preamp kit for beginners?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okgb

Looking for recommendations for a friend to build themselves. They could use a decent mic pre but any utility learning piece would be good as well. Tia

First one that comes to mind is a 312 clone since there's minimal parts. That said, the opamp might be a challenging build for someone just learning.

This person would need something as complete as possible with hopefully detailed instructions. I know not the kind of thing anyone around here needs!

Kits from Sound skulptor maybe?

Innever built one myself but i remember they provide complete instructions.

You can find them in the white market here.

Thomas

Perhaps the JLM Mono could be a good option?

JLM Mono

They could build it with a 5532 and battery power for a low budget build, or go with the 99V opamp and 48v SMPS for something special.

I’ve not built a Mono myself, but have a few channels of the Baby Animal with 99V opamps, they sound fantastic and the build instructions were nice and clear.

Don't mean to do a sale pitch but consider our MICPRE TWO. Very easy to build and with the assembly manual.

It will not be difficult o put it inside a stand-alone case. I would happily provide the front panel template. All round holes and can be drilled manually. But the battery option is a different story.

Back