Dept. Of Commerce Limiters family

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

psych60s

Hello

I've just decided to start a topic about that big range of tube limiters because what can be found on the net is hmm... very frustrating. Few Youtube videos or guy selling reprint copies of operation manuals.

Here in Europe, it could be quite complicated to find some info about these beasts. In addition, I have to service a CA-1322 but I couldn't find a damn thing about this one...

Here what I suggest : This could be a big meta-topic with people sharing technical docs and pictures of various models of these limiters. Every correction is welcome.

Here we go:

As far as I know, these limiters, or "Regulated Output Amplifiers" were based on specifications sheets issued by the Government for Dept. of Commerce or Federal Aviation Agency, and were manufactured by several factories :

Tri-Tronics Laboratory Inc.
Maxson Instruments
Columbus
Hazeltine Corporation
Televiso Electronics

Models manufactured

CA-1322
The one that I need to repair. Fitted with two 6L7, a 6SL7, a 6SN7, a 6H6 and a 5Y3GT.

CA-1486

CA-1529
Couldn't find much more info about that one, it was built by Maxson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVVuKrh1M3I

CA-1581
I only know this one because there is an auction for a reprint of the original operation manual issued by Columbus.

CA-1589
Schematics attached

CA-1601
Manufactured by Hazeltine. Has a microphone input and was fitted with five tubes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hazeltine-CAA-1601-Dept-Of-Commerce-Limiter-Super-Rare-/121529545567

CA-1782
Put a link to this thread because this is where original docs were posted, as I don't want to "re-use" it on this forum without permission
http://groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33552.msg410093#msg410093

I've just started to collect pictures so at that time there are only links to other web pages.

Attachments

• CA-1589 Schematics.jpg
    CA-1589 Schematics.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 115

psych60s

I know and I put some links in the post. I will add docs that I have as soon as possible, but I just wanted to launch something like a big reference thread for these limiters.

If you tell me "Except what you can found on the forum, there is nothing more laying around", that's right, this topic is already useless  :-\

mjrippe

GDIY Supporter
I have two CA-1322 at my shop.  Both made by "National Electrical Machine Shops" in Maryland, serial numbers 13 (green front panel) and 152 (black).  I do not have a schematic for them.

I have an original manual for the CA-594 made by Presto Recording Corporation in 1942.  It also uses octal tubes.  Very large PDF available if you PM me.

Also an original CA-1604 equalizer manual from Hazeltine, 1956.  Passive EQ to go with the CA limiters and preamps.  Also large PDF.

I traced out the circuit of the Maguire CA-1224 tube clipper that I serviced for a client, hand-drawn schematic attached.

Coincidentally, I was working on two Maxson limiters today, CA-1589 serial #7, and CA-1589A serial #2123, both from the same contract number and dated April and November of 1957 respectively.  So there must have been a ton of these around back in the day!

Attachments

• CA-1224.pdf
    744.8 KB · Views: 47

MLonas

Still hoping to find someone out there with a FA-5424 Regulated Output Amplifier (limiter) like mine. They are in the same "family" as the CA-xxxx models. I'll gladly post any info that I come across. I'll try to attach a picture of my unit .

Cheers...

Attachments

• IMG_0805.JPG
    IMG_0805.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 70

emrr

Here's a Maxson CA-1589 I worked on recently:

full size here

35040243321_58ea93db81_b.jpg