Desoldering alps spuj dpdt switch

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAY X

Hi!

I need to desolder a dpdt alps switch, because it does not latch. It is soldered in a two layer through hole pcb hasl rohs finished. I don't want to use a sucker pump to remove solder, it could break the pads. I could remove solder with braided copper or add more solder and make the switch "fall" with the pcb upside down...😝

What would be better?

Jay x

Hot air gun on the underside of the PCB. Melts all solder on all pins at once and part just drops or pulls out. I have used this technique for removing transformers.

Cheers

Ian

Wonder if that chipquick stuff would work in the second scenario. Probably end up having some solder left even after braid so working it out some would have to be done anyway. Getting a grip or under it would give more ways to work it free. Maybe crack it apart and just work the pins out even? Eesh..
Love the hot air gun idea. Wow..
I've seen some tv repair videos where the guy used a hot air gun but that was to reflow solder under chips. I'd be afraid to melt something unintentionally ...totally going to try..

I watched a YouTube video of a guy who repairs mobile phones, usually after some other repair shop has mangles a repair. He uses a hot air gun to remove chunky SMT chips. Think this is the one:

Cheers

Ian

If you have a good replacement switch, cut the old one apart. It will be easier to unsolder one pin at a time.

JR
I do that with other components too. Much easier to deal with a single pin at a time vs a single part. Some parts absorb the heat making it even harder to desolder as a single piece. So bridge rectifiers, opamps, pots, axial caps, resistors, transistors, regulators, just about any multipin gets cut and removed 1 pin at a time. I learned the hard way when dealing with opamps. Didn’t have a fault but it was a bugger. Then the tech from ssl said just cut them out and do 1 pin at a time. Was great.

I bought one of these 10+ years ago (when it was somewhat less expensive than currently):

https://www.howardelectronics.com/d...00as-goot-portable-desoldering-gun-with-case/
I was doing a mass recapping of a desk that was full of dried up lytics on double sided/plated through PCBs. I bought a couple different sized tips and handled a variety of tasks including a mass replacement of Dialistat pushbutton switches on another desk. Not exactly a hobbyist item, but recommended.

Bri

Depending on the exact model, switches like those may or may not also have some of the pins crimped / kinked, for self-retention on the PCB. Good luck desoldering those.

I tried removing some of those switches from a TC Electronic Konnekt 8 board (at least 4-layer though), but the switches themselves melted before enough of the solder did (using a hot-air station).

But especially if they're to be discarded anyway, the pin-cutting method is the way to go.

Wow that's fun to watch.....My bad. I was thinking of a heat gun I saw someone use to reflow solder.
works great for desoldeing
Here it is....31min in...
That is very similar to the one I use. It has a couple of different shaped nozzles you can attach. I bought it mainly for heat shrink sleeving duties but it is great for desoldering as well.

Cheers

Ian

A variant of the cutting which works well for ALPS or similar switches is to 'shred' the switch body then heat and pull out each of the pins individually (from topside of board, even 'through' the bottom part of the white (ALPS) switch body which will be getting soft. so a small alligator clip (crocodile i the UK) to hold each pin as it is unsoldered. THEN with it all out, clean out the holes with braid or suction tool.
Remember the board is the important part in all this.
Matt S

A variant of the cutting which works well for ALPS or similar switches is to 'shred' the switch body then heat and pull out each of the pins individually (from topside of board, even 'through' the bottom part of the white (ALPS) switch body which will be getting soft. so a small alligator clip (crocodile i the UK) to hold each pin as it is unsoldered. THEN with it all out, clean out the holes with braid or suction tool.
I've used this method, our Calrec's full of these switches.
A similar, quicker dirtier method is to pop the switch top off and then with a big iron blade/solder blob heat all the pins at once and gently pull the switch base with pins off together.
Use fume extraction!
One day i have >3000 of these to change.. Will probably get some special tooling made!

I use Denon desoldering gun, but I presume that buying it for one swithch is not a solution. So just cutting the part will do the job, as other guys already mentioned.

Back