Digidesign 888 16 or 24 bit?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommia

Is the one in the picture 16 or 24 bit?
I would like to use it as aes to analog converter on my Lynx aurora

Attachments

• 20231015_154901_compress86.jpg
    20231015_154901_compress86.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 3
Thanks, was exactly what I was thinking. Ok I'm looking further to find one for a good price. @nielsk: shipping costs to europe would be to high. How much do you ask?

888s apparently do work standalone, but sound terrible.
I used to work at a studio where we used an 882 for extra inputs (otherwise we had Digi192 and Apogee Rosettas), so I understand the concept. It worked in a pinch, but really, every $100 interface sounds better than those converters these days (and the 882 is actually only 20bit!)

Or do you want the sound of old, not-very-good converters?

Actually I'm looking for 16 aes/ebu to analog. I' ve build something in the past arround some cheap chinese stuff. Now I want something more elegant but still on a tight budget. It doesn't have to be prestine. It is for my effects (80's &90's, early digital 16/20 bit) inserts.

I just bought a Digidesign 888 on Bay for 99 cents plus $7.99 shipping. I think the seller saw the word AVID on the box (AVID had just bought Digidesign) and they thought the auction would skyrocket. Nope. It's a heavy, high quality chassis. I am using the chassis for a power supply and I threw out the board. Good chassis are very expensive, and this one is going under the console so it doesn't have to be a looker. The only extra filtering of the switching PSU for the audio section were an inductor and 100uF capacitor on each rail.

It had "Copyright 1990" and "Made in USA" printed on it!

If you are after some cheap converters, you might be better off with Lucid. The 888/24 were better when clocked externally, so maybe lock it to the Lynx. I found the 888's narrow down the stereo width and shave off some of the low end/body.

All I can find on Lucid is not cheap. I only need mono out, some low cut is no problem. Think effect sends.

Latest posts

Back