Direct Outs on a PM-1000 board (again with the PM-1000!!!)

Help Support GroupDIY:

Echo North

I have read a few posts about this issue and am still a little unclear. I have successfully racked PM-1000 strips so I am pretty familiar with their design.

Here is my idea. I want to create direct outs for the first 8 channels of a 16 channel board. My idea is to build a breakout box that would house 8 xlr outs and corresponding output transformers. I was thinking I would run all wires from this box through a large rubber tub (think snake) into a whole in the board then attach the wires to each channel strip as I did when I did the two channel rack job.

Basically I'm creating and attaching a snake permanently to the board. If this goes well i would create a new box and wire for the next 8 channels.

I'm an amateur. Is this a stupid idea?

Thanks,

Mike

Brown Note

you should be alright. just remember that the snake will be susceptible to RF. unless your direct outs are going to be driving a true 600ohm load you might want to consider foregoing the transformers and just running hi-z. 8 good transformers ain't cheap. not to mention that the pm1k's ability to drive a 600:600 trafo is in question:

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=14173&highlight=edcor

other than that i see no reason why this wouldn't work. good luck.

ben

Latest posts