Discovery! PCB tube sockets and shields.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BluegrassDan

GDIY Supporter
I wanted to share this cool discovery. (Maybe others knew this already, but it's new to me.)

Over time, Ian and others of us have been discussing tube sockets, shields, PCB mounts, yada yada. Check this out.

You can easily slip one of THESE tube shield bases over a Belton PCB tube socket (VT9-PT) with plenty of pin clearance. I started going down the rabbit hole of the Belton PCB mount with shield already attached (VT9-PT-C), which is not really suitable for on-board mounting in this manner. This is a much better arrangement, IMHO.

Antique Electronic Supply is one place where you can buy them in the USA.

Belton VT9-PT
Extra Long Tube Shield

You will need an extra long tube shield as the socket sits higher in the base. A standard 2" tube shield is not tall enough.

IMG_7369.jpg
IMG_7365.jpg
IMG_7366.jpg
IMG_7367.jpg
IMG_7368.jpg
67303126593__1C0CBDDA-B4B4-4E14-AB09-551E8A5A6E73.jpg

Last edited:
Just to be clear, the tube base shield and the extra long tube shield come as one item? Sounds like the answer we have been looking for.

Cheers

Ian

Just to be clear, the tube base shield and the extra long tube shield come as one item? Sounds like the answer we have been looking for.

Cheers

Ian

Yes. The tube shield base and the extra long shield are packaged together.

For reference: Here is what the PCB footprint looks like.

Mounting holes: Spacing 1.125"
Mounting holes: Pad size 0.1875" (3/16"), hole size 0.125" (1/8")
Screws: #4-40
Standoffs: 0.1875" (3/16") diameter
Center hole: 0.125" (1/8")
Terminals: 3mm pads with 1.8mm holes
Everything else per Belton product info.

Screen Shot 2022-04-30 at 6.55.32 PM.png

Is there a place that sells the base and regular length shield? Think this approach would also work if you pcb mount the socket and then chassis mount the base. But with that you would want a regular length shield.

Is there a place that sells the base and regular length shield? Think this approach would also work if you pcb mount the socket and then chassis mount the base. But with that you would want a regular length shield.
I think you need the long shield because the PCB socket sits proud of the PCB but the bottom shield sits flush.

Cheers

Ian

I think you need the long shield because the PCB socket sits proud of the PCB but the bottom shield sits flush.

Cheers

Ian
Yes that is true for the OP configuration. I was thinking about a modified version, socket goes on pcb, shield mounts to chassis. So the shield would be higher in this version, more flush to the top of the socket, and closer to a more traditional sizing

Yes that is true for the OP configuration. I was thinking about a modified version, socket goes on pcb, shield mounts to chassis. So the shield would be higher in this version, more flush to the top of the socket, and closer to a more traditional sizing
OK, got it. I had not realised you had a chassis. So I guess you are mounting the PCB under a chassis with the tube going through a hole in it?

Cheers

Ian

The normal Belton one is rather weird, as one side has a screw hole, the other side what looks like a solder pin. Doesn't seem that robust.

Latest posts

Back