Disposal of Etching Chemicals

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rochey

White Market Member
Do any of you guys have suggestions on how to get rid of HCL etchant in the best possible way? In the UK, shops like Maplin and RS are fantastic at selling you the stuff, but useless at helping you get rid of it.

Any suggestions involving easy to find domestic things like salt or something would be appreciated. I hate the idea of just putting this stuff down the drain (not my own, the one in the street!!!)

Cheers guys.

R :wink:

My local waste department (don't know if that's the right word for it, hope you know what i mean) dispose it for me and this at no charge :thumb: They just want to know what it is so you need to write it on it.

Yeah and don't put it down the drain ! Not good !

Flo

I _am_ the local waste departmant :green:

I know, what ya mean. Same deal here in Denmark, we got places like that. I can be seen lurking there at night, because it's illegal to take the stuff/garbage and recycle it. Damn :evil: Those inspectors are true nazis, wannabe cops :twisted:

What's wrong with a little recycling? :green:

drop a couple of alka-seltzers in there!
seriously, if it's just hydrochloric acid, just dilute the heck out of it and dump it down the drain.
can't be worse than Draino, and all the other houshold chemicals.
baking soda will neutralize it also.

Cjenrik -

the idea of doing that really does not appeal to me. I will enquire with my local waste department to see what they recommend.

Although -- can anyone else verify the baking soda thing??? Knowing nothing about chemistry means i can't tell the difference between sarcasm and advice at this point!!!

Cheers

R

For UK residents - your local council may have facilities at the local landfill site to deal with and I quote "special hazardous household/garden chemicals"
My council does - but it is one of those unitary authorities and not a county council
They just have a separate section of the tip were you put your canisters of nasty stuff and paint

Here in the American southwest, we dump hydrochloric acid into water all the time, and then go swim in it. (HCl=pool acid - used to control the pH of the pool water). The problem is when you etch a circuit with it - 2HCl+Cu +O2-> CuCl2 + 2H2O.

It's the copper chloride that poses the risk.

ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION:
Persistence and degradability:
Not biodegradable - highly water contaminating.

Ecotoxicity effects:
Marine pollutant.
96-Hour LC50 Poecilia Reticulata, Guppy, In/with FW:0.0664 mg/l as Cu.
May cause long-term adverse effects in the aquatic environment.

(from http://www.wm-blythe.co.uk/WMBLYTHE/CSDS.nsf/0/51bade4161d9f759802568b7003ccf32?OpenDocument )

I'd think there would be the same problem with ferric chloride - it may be somewhat toxic, but copper chloride is produced by etching. Best to take them to a disposal site.

And HCl and baking soda is like vinegar and soda, just more vigorous. Stand back. :green:

[quote author="sismofyt"]Those inspectors are true nazis, wannabe cops :twisted:

What's wrong with a little recycling? :green:[/quote]
Wait till they're not watching, take what you want, run to your car and drive. That's how I got one of my reel-to-reel decks :green:

Best regards,

Mikkel C. Simonsen

Latest posts

Back