Distortion valve problem with eq1pa

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidmoore

Hi
Can anybody help with this .
I bought a Carter eq1pa a coupe of months ago
Recently I started hearing low level distortion which seemed to be getting worse gradually .
I decided to try changing the tubes .
I changed the ecc82 /ecc83 valves but could not pulll out the rectifier valve which seems to be stuck it even looks like something is melted on the base maybe glue ? Now the re is no sound  all from the Pultec and the rectifier valve is. Not lighting up .
Any idea please .
I’m sorry I know little about electronics .
Thanks

davidmoore said:
Hi
Can anybody help with this .
I bought a Carter eq1pa a coupe of months ago
Recently I started hearing low level distortion which seemed to be getting worse gradually .
I decided to try changing the tubes .
I changed the ecc82 /ecc83 valves but could not pulll out the rectifier valve which seems to be stuck it even looks like something is melted on the base maybe glue ? Now the re is no sound  all from the Pultec and the rectifier valve is. Not lighting up .
Any idea please .
I’m sorry I know little about electronics .
Thanks
The answer is in your question; you need to change this rectifier, even if it takes destroying the socket for this. If it's really stuck unmovable, and since it's definitely broken, I suggest you smash it (put it in a piece of cloth and use pliers) and take the pins out one at a time. That may save the socket.

Thanks for your advise!
Do you think the rectifier valve may have been the cause of the original distortion?
I'm not sure if the valve was bad before i started trying to get t out.
Understood though i ned to get the valve out!

davidmoore said:
Thanks for your advise!
Do you think the rectifier valve may have been the cause of the original distortion?
I'm not sure if the valve was bad before i started trying to get t out.
Understood though i ned to get the valve out!
It may have been an erratic contact of the socket; anyway there's been a firepoint there so you need to check it before fitting a new rectifier in. You may have to change both.

Latest posts

Back