DIY Faceplate distortion/feedback issues

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fizzy1200

Hello folks,

I have been working on a mod for an allen and heath mixer with some success. I thought I was using pure anodized aluminium for the faceplate from a supplier, but recently he informed me that the rear of the faceplate (that touches the chassis and motherboard) is chromated/fully conductive.

Could this be the source of my issues? Could it also blow any parts in the circuitry as I'm having white noise issues that wasnt there when I connected the board to the chassis with no faceplate. But after connecting with faceplate and then removing faceplate again, the white noise is still there. As if current has ran through the plate to a component.

Any help appreciated.

Fizzy1200 said:
Hello folks,

I have been working on a mod for an allen and heath mixer with some success. I thought I was using pure anodized aluminium for the faceplate from a supplier, but recently he informed me that the rear of the faceplate (that touches the chassis and motherboard) is chromated/fully conductive.

Could this be the source of my issues? Could it also blow any parts in the circuitry as I'm having white noise issues that wasnt there when I connected the board to the chassis with no faceplate. But after connecting with faceplate and then removing faceplate again, the white noise is still there. As if current has ran through the plate to a component.

Any help appreciated.
Anyway you can't rely on anodization for proper insulation. You should not allow a metal part to be too close to a working circuit. You need proper insulating material. If space is an issue you can use a plastic film such as polycarbonate.
If the fascia has been incontact with the powered MB, it's very likely something jas released its magic smoke.

Thanks Abbey road. That's exactly what i feared. However I have seen some people use fully anodized aluminium panels on the same type of project and been fine.

In terms of the white noise as a result of the damage, would you assume that I should throw out the motherboard and get a new one? I think it could be difficult to identify what has been fried on it?

Cheers.

Fizzy1200 said:
Thanks Abbey road. That's exactly what i feared. However I have seen some people use fully anodized aluminium panels on the same type of project and been fine.
Anodization is a good insulator, however a tiny scratch can ruin it, and anyway, in your case, it's not anodization on the back, it's chromate.

In terms of the white noise as a result of the damage, would you assume that I should throw out the motherboard and get a new one? I think it could be difficult to identify what has been fried on it?
Since I have no idea what's on this PCB and what it's supposed to do, I can hardly give a valid answer.

Latest posts

Back