DIY Guitar Amp Speaker Suggestions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I already know the "it all depends" argument and that my question is broad with no real difinative answer, but I respect the oppinions of the people here so I am asking.

I am planning a low wattage EL84 push pull combo amp. Much more crap in the pre than anyone could possibly need but I am old and cranky so I only ever want to use one amp and it has to be versitile. It will be used for mostly jass/blues type stuff.

I lean toward a 12" speaker, but if 10" is good I won't complain.

Latsly, I don't want to break the bank with this project either as there are lots more things left to DIY.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've heard good things about the Weber Signature series, I think the highest priced one was $45 :green:

I have his 12" alnico in a '62 Princeton that SMOKES! :guinness:

Eminence has a whole new line (two lines actually) of speakers that are getting really good reviews -- the Patriot and Redcoat series. Check out the "Cannabis Rex" (no I'm not making this up) in the Patriot series. Sounds like just the ticket for jazz/blues stuff.

Im a big fan of the webers, I have recorded both the ceramic and alnico speakers in the R and N series in both 12 and 10 and 15" (where available) and liked them alot. They are really mellow on top, which is great, although I didnt find them to have the same kind of punch that celestion V30's have, which is good or bad depending on what you are trying to do. I have a pair of the reissue jensens from about 6 or more years ago, when they first came out, and the high end is really shrill on them, I dont like them at all, but perhaps theyve figured out how to do it right since then, like I said, they were new maybe 6 ish years ago.

If you are looking for a smooth and easy sound, you cant go wrong with a weber. Celestion Vintage 30's seem to also be a safe standby if you want the idea of a smooth speaker with the attack of something a little more modern.

dave

You are bidding on one FistOfFury combo amplifier replete with Cannabis Rex speaker. Covering is real aligator skin dyed red. Item is guaranteed to slay or your money back.

I would *WIN* that auction.

dave

Thanks a lot for all the suggestions. The specs I found on the "canibus rex" rolled off the high end a bit much for me. The webber speakers look really good and are decently priced, but I finally settled on a celestion vintage 30 when I found them on sale for $75 at Angela Instruments.

Again, I appreciate the help.

The Vin30 is a classic RnR speaker. I hope it works for you in a jazz/blues context as it does have some bark in its upper mids.

It is interesting about the response graphs that Eminence publishes. They don't seem to match the descriptions necessarily. Several of the speakers that are described as having big/full bottom end show responses that sag in the lower frequencies, whereas some that are described as tight (which I take to mean leaner/lighter) show responses that are flatter in the lows. Likewise in the upper end, some that are described as having sparkle or whatever, show responses that don't extend as far as others. Who knows.

It reminds me, though, that one can't make decisions about the characteristics of gear based on frequency response plots alone. I once took an AT4050 to a fellow to try who had only used an AT4033 for vocals. He looked at the freq plots on the spec sheets and said "looks the same to me". Then we swapped the mics, and his jaw dropped. He couldn't believe how much bigger and smoother the 4050 sounded compared to his mic. BTW, this isn't directed toward you, Thomas, just a general babbling comment.

I put a pair of 10" Celestions in my 18Watt clone which is a pair of EL84's cathode biased. The original version had the same. Sounds good to me.

cheers,
kent

Back