DIY Octava 012 Circuit & Shure Beta 87, guidance needed

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gary o

Im thinkin of building the Octava 012 circuit including the mods..I want to use it with a capsule from a Shure beta 87 which I believe is eletret ? if it is will i need to change the Octava circuit ? ......I dont want to harm my Beta 87 capsule...the idea is to build all this inside a RB500 ribbon mic case so it will look the part on stage & sound as good as a Beta 87... & reject feedback

if any1 has any thoughts on the matter, will be great to hear them, thanks

I don't mean to be dismissive of this... I'm just wondering, have you checked out any of these?

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/classic_pro/index.htm

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/fin/index.htm

http://www.heilsound.com/pro/products/heritage/index.htm

Retro look, modern performance. And reasonable $ to boot.

Just a thought.

As for what you're proposing, I'm not really qualified to respond. Perhaps Gus or some others will come along shortly.

Peace,

JC

Hey thanks those mics look great & very interesting large diaphrams would love to hear these mics all of em, the sound is very important to me as is feedback rejection its worth buying one to try and if i dont like sound use the case, I had also been looking at the EV Blue Raven & Cardinal mics.

I cant decide what i like the look of most the BIG one or the Fin I think they both look better than the EVs .....but EVs are meant to sound good.....decisions decisions.

Thanks once again

Keep in mind that feedback rejection is also a matter of the source being close to the mic. With those large mics the singer usually keeps a larger distance to the mic, so you probably won't have the same feedback rejection with your SM87 capsule as with the original SM87 up close.

Heil mics DO sound good. While I have not personally used any of the retro-looking models, their PR20, PR30 and PR40 are all stellar mics. Bob just wanted to make great mics that look like the old retro faves as well.

The only drawback to the sound of these mics will be whatever effect the large, awkwardly shaped bodies may have on the sound bouncing around inside. The functional parts of the mics themselves are fantastic.

JC

Hiya Yeah I have mounted a Audix OM6 capsule inside the Rb500 case for some couple of gigs as a test, OM6 is great dynamic mic as Rossi said the gain at mixer has to go up coz mouth further away from mic, so feedback creeps in and this mic has very tight pattern very small sweet spot so the level of vocal was very hit & miss.

I found a local dealer selling Heil mic to my nice supprise, so I took my mackie mixer lex reverb martin audio speaker Beta 87 to the shop .....Yeah they loved me, ha.....actually they were very nice & enjoyed small concert, I compared my Beta 87 to there classic pro, the big one that looks like a ribbon & the Fin.. they have same capsule & they sounded great a lovely fat rich flattering sort of sound, not the sound of most dynamics I really liked it, sadly as suspected & as JC said the casings effected the sound the Fin withs its funny shape had less hi detail the the more open sounding classic pro they both sounded great tho !.. the Classic pro picked up no sound at all from the sides & not a lot from the back i suspect it would find it harder to feedback than the Fin...dispite these things I still
bought the Fin coz it looked so great and was cheaper & I started to think already how can i make it sound like the Classic ha its not far off tho

JC thanks once again for bringing these to my attention Il be gigging with the Fin this weekend so il report back how things sounded

Cheers .......Gary O.

JC & any1 the Fin sounds great on stage Im very fussy about my vocal but I love the sound of this mic, sounds big fat warm with hint of condensor and portion of ribbon, pretty good at not feed in back too, and it does look great, tho I havent been brave enough to swich on blue lights its a bit gay haha but some1 will enjoy that.

Cheers

Back