Diy Parts Supply - 3 rail adjustable psu kits $35 (+/-/48V(or other))

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a word to anyone about to order the 51x PSU kits. They are not the same parts that are offered from the 51x crew. Hopefully Ptown will do everyone a favor and list what you are actually getting in his kit. Just a word to those out there to build a high quality, top rated 511 rack and PSU.

I just don't think it's right. I am out $30 dollars on shipping because I thought I'd be getting the same parts sahib listed here..

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33849.0

They are not even rated the same.

really...you're going to post this in my white market thread...

I have to take my son trick-or-treating right now, but i will respond to this is more detail tomorrow.

I'm not positive right this second, some things were back ordered and I'm working hard to get them here faster by using other sources (which is costing me extra money, but that's my problem not anyone elses). I'm relatively sure that all of the parts should be here in less than 2 weeks, and i still have not gotten a confirmation on the chassis' as par-metal is THE WORST company i have ever dealt with and i had to find someone else. More on that soon.

I will update when I have more info.

jandoste, just saw your e-mail a second ago, will respond in the morning.

Cheers

You're right I don't know what the hell I am doing. I am a newbie and it's people like me who can be swiddled so easily into buying anything based off people's word. You could at least let us know what were buying... I'm done here. Keep on keeping on.....

funkymonksf said:
Just a word to anyone about to order the 51x PSU kits. They are not the same parts that are offered from the 51x crew. Hopefully Ptown will do everyone a favor and list what you are actually getting in his kit. Just a word to those out there to build a high quality, top rated 511 rack and PSU.

I just don't think it's right. I am out $30 dollars on shipping because I thought I'd be getting the same parts sahib listed here..

Ok, here we go...

First off...I am really disappointed that you would post something slanderous and insinuating in a thread I pay for, even after I explained to you, politely at that, that your assumptions and comparisons were baseless at best AND I refunded your money. I'm sorry that we had some kind of mis-communication somewhere, but I never meant to imply that my kit contained the EXACT same parts as Sahib's. It contains the same quantity of parts, not the identical parts, and they are all rated well within the specs for this PSU. One would think that would be obvious based on the price difference. Furthermore; your definition of "high-quality" and "top rated" is totally off the mark.

funkymonksf said:
You're right I don't know what the hell I am doing. I am a newbie and it's people like me who can be swiddled so easily into buying anything based off people's word. You could at least let us know what were buying... I'm done here. Keep on keeping on.....

So, on one hand, you insinuate that my parts kit is neither "high quality" or "top rated" but then you proceed to say that you don't know what the hell you are doing, that you are a newbie and that you were swindled... That being said one would think that a self proclaimed newbie who doesn't know what they are doing probably does not possess the knowledge to make such lofty claims about something they do not understand.

You contacted me saying that you would like to return the parts because they "were not as specified" by the psu designer, to which i responded that i had no problem with accepting the return if you were not happy, but i also tried to offer you some help by asking what parts specifically you had an issue with and why. You said that "they were all under rated", and I again asked you to be specific. I know full well that every part in that kit is perfectly fine, as I did my homework, but in order to help you, I needed to know where the issue was.

You said the following
-Trimmers are Bourns copies
-Resistors do not fit
-Not all caps were rated for 105 degree
-Rectifiers we "only" 6A
-The kit contained tantalum caps instead of film

Here we go, one by one

Trimmers; yes, they are NOT bourns, unfortunately the asian supplier decided to make them look like bourns, but that does not make them any less functional. We have used them for over 5 years in many, many things, they are found throughout all my own personal gear, and there is simply nothing wrong with them. I have not had a single one fail, ever. Beyond that, if they were some nondescript, plain blue or gray trimmers, you never would have said a thing. [EDIT: Not that it matters, but the trimmers in the remaining kits are murata's now]

Resistors; Yes, they are larger than what Volker had intended, but having a larger body helps with cooling, and they do actually fit, it just takes a little finesse.

Caps being rated for 105 degrees; totally unnecessary, period. If you let you rack psu get up to 85+ degrees, you are going to have far more to worry about than a few caps. Sahib did extensive tests on the temperatures under substantial load and found that the caps run around 30 - 40 degrees http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33849.msg487051#msg487051 I told you several times that larger numbers do not equal "higher quality", that's simply not how it works.

Rectifiers; The max amps rating on the transformer is 2.2A per secondary, 6A is almost triple that value, and if you take into account that you will most likely never see more than 1.5A with a fully loaded 51X rack completely loaded, it's 4 times the value. You claimed that Sahib "specified" the 25A part...which is untrue. It's just the part he chose to include in his kit. There's nothing wrong with using a 25A part, but it's not needed. Again, this is a case of your assumption that larger numbers mean higher quality, which is simply not the case. Both the 6A and 25A part have the same max operating temp anyway. Beyond all of that, Volker, who designed the psu, confirmed long ago that 6A is fine, as did Sahib http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36874.msg468144#msg468144

Tantalum caps and no film; Well, here we have another case of your lack of knowledge, which for the record is fine. There's nothing wrong with making mistakes, and there's nothing wrong with being inexperienced. I would never fault anyone for that, we have all been there. For the record, there are NO tantalums in the kit, only ceramics and poly's, and poly's are film caps.

To be perfectly honest, I don't appreciate your comments in the least, and you quite obviously have not bothered to take the time to read up on any of this. I tried to help you by explaining all of these things to you before you sent the kit back, and when you wouldn't accept my advice and kept insisting that the parts were "under rated" and "low quality", i made the suggestion that you would be better off financially by simply replacing the parts in the kit that you were not happy with, even if it was all a pointless exercise. You insisted on sending it back, I said all along that I was perfectly fine with that and refunded your money, and then you come here and start talking Sh*t about me and my product.

Also, if you had taken the time to read...you would have found this http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33849.msg508992#msg508992 which Sahib posted when there were a few complaints about the cost of the electrical parts. You'll note the comments on both the cap ratings and rectifiers...

You'll note that Sahib even mentions my kit as an alternative here http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33849.msg495026#msg495026 and Jeff Steiger is using one of my kits for his rack.

I use my kits in all my own personal gear, with no changes whatsoever. I make sure that the parts in each kit suit their purpose and try to offer a balance between quality and affordability. That being said, if I "swindled" you by offering you a low cost kit that more than adequately suits the needs of this psu, I guess have swindled myself as well...as i am using my kit in its entirety for my rack.

In conclusion, I truly am sorry that you are unhappy with your experience with me. I do care about my customers (and people in general) which is why I tried to help you, tried to save you some time and money, and tried to educate you, but you were not interested in anything but being angry.

Next time you feel like publicly insulting someone, please take the time to make sure you are better informed.

I would like to go on record saying that i have done business with Mr. Ptownkid on several occasions for a number of different parts/projects (including the GDIY51X PSU) and don't have a single complaint. He has always done a great job of having honest communication and showing great care for the customer and his top quality products (especially at his low prices!). I will continue to buy from him, as he does a great job supporting this community.

I am sure 99.99% of you feel the same, but i just wanted to emphasize my support.

Keep up the good work, sir!

just requested and paypald 337 for SB4000 parts -chassis-meter. sweet. looking forward to this beast.

PTOWN!!! I finally got my check I've been waiting for. Is it a pain for you if I send you a money order? I want the whole enchilada. I was on your pre-order list but didn't have the $$$ at the time.

Update; I am shipping out replacement trimmers and resistors in the next week for those that bought the first half of the 51X psu kits, no need to contact me, I have figured out who needs them.

Also; it has come to my attention that some of you did not get replacement LM350's for the LM317's, please contact me ptk16 at hotmail dot com

There is no need to reply here, please e-mail me

Ptownkid said:
Ok, SB4000 pre-order starts now!

....Meter - $27 CAD

....Meter's can be seen here http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=40885.0
They will come built with a black scale plate and white needle, but you will also get a white scale plate to use should you so choose.

Hi Brian, do you have a some of these meters in stock for purchase on their own?...I'm looking for a couple. Thank You, Stuart

hello Ptownkid ! :D
payment done for 2 turbokit
11/06/2010 order # 682
thank you!
dingo.

Ptownkid said:
funkymonksf said:

Ok, here we go...

First off...I am really disappointed that you would post something slanderous and insinuating in a thread I pay for, even after I explained to you, politely at that, that your assumptions and comparisons were baseless at best AND I refunded your money. I'm sorry that we had some kind of mis-communication somewhere, but I never meant to imply that my kit contained the EXACT same parts as Sahib's. It contains the same quantity of parts, not the identical parts, and they are all rated well within the specs for this PSU. One would think that would be obvious based on the price difference. Furthermore; your definition of "high-quality" and "top rated" is totally off the mark.

funkymonksf said:

So, on one hand, you insinuate that my parts kit is neither "high quality" or "top rated" but then you proceed to say that you don't know what the hell you are doing, that you are a newbie and that you were swindled... That being said one would think that a self proclaimed newbie who doesn't know what they are doing probably does not possess the knowledge to make such lofty claims about something they do not understand.

You contacted me saying that you would like to return the parts because they "were not as specified" by the psu designer, to which i responded that i had no problem with accepting the return if you were not happy, but i also tried to offer you some help by asking what parts specifically you had an issue with and why. You said that "they were all under rated", and I again asked you to be specific. I know full well that every part in that kit is perfectly fine, as I did my homework, but in order to help you, I needed to know where the issue was.

You said the following
-Trimmers are Bourns copies
-Resistors do not fit
-Not all caps were rated for 105 degree
-Rectifiers we "only" 6A
-The kit contained tantalum caps instead of film

Here we go, one by one

Trimmers; yes, they are NOT bourns, unfortunately the asian supplier decided to make them look like bourns, but that does not make them any less functional. We have used them for over 5 years in many, many things, they are found throughout all my own personal gear, and there is simply nothing wrong with them. I have not had a single one fail, ever. Beyond that, if they were some nondescript, plain blue or gray trimmers, you never would have said a thing. [EDIT: Not that it matters, but the trimmers in the remaining kits are murata's now]

Resistors; Yes, they are larger than what Volker had intended, but having a larger body helps with cooling, and they do actually fit, it just takes a little finesse.

Caps being rated for 105 degrees; totally unnecessary, period. If you let you rack psu get up to 85+ degrees, you are going to have far more to worry about than a few caps. Sahib did extensive tests on the temperatures under substantial load and found that the caps run around 30 - 40 degrees http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33849.msg487051#msg487051 I told you several times that larger numbers do not equal "higher quality", that's simply not how it works.

Rectifiers; The max amps rating on the transformer is 2.2A per secondary, 6A is almost triple that value, and if you take into account that you will most likely never see more than 1.5A with a fully loaded 51X rack completely loaded, it's 4 times the value. You claimed that Sahib "specified" the 25A part...which is untrue. It's just the part he chose to include in his kit. There's nothing wrong with using a 25A part, but it's not needed. Again, this is a case of your assumption that larger numbers mean higher quality, which is simply not the case. Both the 6A and 25A part have the same max operating temp anyway. Beyond all of that, Volker, who designed the psu, confirmed long ago that 6A is fine, as did Sahib http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=36874.msg468144#msg468144

Tantalum caps and no film; Well, here we have another case of your lack of knowledge, which for the record is fine. There's nothing wrong with making mistakes, and there's nothing wrong with being inexperienced. I would never fault anyone for that, we have all been there. For the record, there are NO tantalums in the kit, only ceramics and poly's, and poly's are film caps.

To be perfectly honest, I don't appreciate your comments in the least, and you quite obviously have not bothered to take the time to read up on any of this. I tried to help you by explaining all of these things to you before you sent the kit back, and when you wouldn't accept my advice and kept insisting that the parts were "under rated" and "low quality", i made the suggestion that you would be better off financially by simply replacing the parts in the kit that you were not happy with, even if it was all a pointless exercise. You insisted on sending it back, I said all along that I was perfectly fine with that and refunded your money, and then you come here and start talking Sh*t about me and my product.

Also, if you had taken the time to read...you would have found this http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33849.msg508992#msg508992 which Sahib posted when there were a few complaints about the cost of the electrical parts. You'll note the comments on both the cap ratings and rectifiers...

You'll note that Sahib even mentions my kit as an alternative here http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=33849.msg495026#msg495026 and Jeff Steiger is using one of my kits for his rack.

I use my kits in all my own personal gear, with no changes whatsoever. I make sure that the parts in each kit suit their purpose and try to offer a balance between quality and affordability. That being said, if I "swindled" you by offering you a low cost kit that more than adequately suits the needs of this psu, I guess have swindled myself as well...as i am using my kit in its entirety for my rack.

In conclusion, I truly am sorry that you are unhappy with your experience with me. I do care about my customers (and people in general) which is why I tried to help you, tried to save you some time and money, and tried to educate you, but you were not interested in anything but being angry.

Next time you feel like publicly insulting someone, please take the time to make sure you are better informed.

Hogwash!  (Where did that term come from anyway?)
I just received my parts kits, and everything was fine.  The resistors are a little tight, but they WILL fit.  I don't know how you do the pricing, though.  You must be making next to nothing, and are doing me a great favor by making this a "one stop" source for almost everything needed to complete the unit.
I guess you can't please everyone.........
Best,
Bruno2000

Indeed this service is like having your cake and eating it too! According to the saying eating your cake is frowned upon but in this case it is a good thing. What good is cake if you can't eat it anyway?! ;D

Latest posts

Back