DIY-Racked DR-609 build...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can measure AC in and out of the input transformer. After the the resistors and diodes, on test point F and H there is no AC but there is 650mV DC. On the input pins of the interstage transformer there is 3.6V DC. there is nothing on the output pins of interstage transformer. Are these measurements normal/correct? These measurements are taken with the setting written in the 1st step of calibration with 1 khz sine wave connected to input.
Hi Ateshk,

I’m also in the middle of a DR609 build, and I’ve experienced the same problems you did. With my unit it had something to do with a few transistors on the opamp cards that had problems. Be careful to keep the trimpot on the opamp cards all the way down, until the calibration process, or it will run really hot and damage components. I do get signal in and out of the unit now. I couldn’t measure anything at the interstage transformer, might be because the signal is very low there. I started calibrating my unit, and the limiter section is actually working perfectly if I leave the wiring for the compression section unplugged. As soon as I plug in the control B wiring, the reduction meter jumps to -20 db and stays there no matter what I do with the controls. Did you manage to get yours working?

I can measure AC in and out of the input transformer. After the the resistors and diodes, on test point F and H there is no AC but there is 650mV DC. On the input pins of the interstage transformer there is 3.6V DC. there is nothing on the output pins of interstage transformer. Are these measurements normal/correct? These measurements are taken with the setting written in the 1st step of calibration with 1 khz sine wave connected to input.
Hi Ateshk,

I’m also in the middle of a DR609 build, and I’ve experienced the same problems you did. With my unit it had something to do with a few transistors on the opamp cards that had problems. Be careful to keep the trimpot on the opamp cards all the way down, until the calibration process, or it will run really hot and damage components. I do get signal in and out of the unit now. I couldn’t measure anything at the interstage transformer, might be because the signal is very low there. I started calibrating my unit, and the limiter section is actually working perfectly if I leave the wiring for the compression section unplugged. As soon as I plug in the control B wiring, the reduction meter jumps to -20 db and stays there no matter what I do with the controls. Did you manage to get yours working?

I still have all the problems.
I unplugged everything; A, B and even the opamp. I sill get 14-15V on the meters and no sound on the output. Is there a way to test the opamps? With which transistors did u had problems? How did u check the transistors? Please let me know.

Ahh crap I have got R44 shooting out smoke whenever I plug the amp340 in. I've done as suggested, ccw turn on the trimmer installed on the amp340 board (all the way left - maybe I need to bring it up a little??). Or is it a trimmer elsewhere on the board that I need to sort too? Damn I'm all out of 10r resistors now haha

Did you ever find the problem with the R44 resistor going up in smoke? Same issue here. Amp trim fully counter-clockwise, but R44 went up in smoke immediately after plugging in the amp.

Last edited:
Back