DIY-Racked DR-609 build...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I was the OP here, I'll share where I am with all of this...

The reason why I started this thread originally is because I was having some issues with my 33609 build that I thought this forum would be best be suited to assist with since there's always qualified, helpful participants here. I initially thought it strange that there were no posts for DIY-Racked kits, but after making the first post, I was let in on why and subsequent researching provided more clarity for the same.

I'll assume for the sake of this conversation that the allegations are true ( likely true? ) since the event happend long before I became involved with DIY builds. Either way, I'm guessing DIY-Racked has their own read of what may or may not happened, so personally I'm uncomfortable calling out a vendor for allegations that aren't 100% clear in my mind. For the record, I would never participate knowingly in a situation where potential IP theft was in play and I have given my trust to the members here who say what happend actually happened.

With the above in mind, I initially had no idea there was an issue with DIY-Racked kits before making my purchase and subsequently reaching out to this forum. This would also be true for any others that may be new participants or unaware going forward. So, if the admins here want this thread gone, so be it. I won't be losing any sleep over that action.

As it stands, I will not be purchasing any additional kits going forward from DIY-Racked for personal reasons and now that I know, for the reasons why the two previous posters have chimed in with their opinions. If this thread is removed, then it seems others will fall into the same trap I did which isn't being fair to those who are also unaware of what has gone on in the past. I'm guessing for legal reasons, there may little the admins can do beyond a deletion. If so, if the forum policies are not clearly stated that certain topics are out of bounds; future like posts are likely to occur as those unaware users will not have any idea of why folks have shunned DIY-Racked.

Cheers!

Hi Ron-Swanson (love that character of the P&R series by the way) of course you didn't know past problems with the individual in question.

But the support for commercial products that are not related to this forum should be done and kept in those sellers platforms,
Purusha should be the one to support and help his clients out not us that don't have anything to do with his products and profit.

Best regards

Last edited:
May I ask you mods what is the essential difference between what Drip does in relation to Purusha and why helping in Drip projects is ok but not in Purusha projects (Igor's projects)?
Caveat; there's no official policy here, so each mod has their own take on the subject.
There are subtle differences between Purusha's and Drip's case.
If I'm correct (I wasn't there at the time) Purusha pissed off a number of members, by sucking them for technical info, that he later copyrighted, when Drip pissed off a number of customers, by failing to deliver vital build information.
I'm not Solomon, so I don't know who deserves to be blamed the most, but I believe we should have a BIG sticky saying: "We are not Purusha's, nor Drip's after-sale support".
If it was more widely known, maybe less errand souls would fall in the traps of wicked predators....

Whilst I'm not fan of Drip or Purusha I'm a bit perplexed that people have issues with supporting commercial products on here. Practically every project in the White Market is commercial & most of them are supported here. Unless the issue is that neither Drip or Purusha have White Market threads here.

Last edited:
Whilst I'm not fan of Drip or Purusha I'm a bit perplexed that people have issues with supporting commercial products on here.
Within limits, it's part of the role of this group. When it comes to substituting for a seller that does not fulfill their basic obligations, I do have issues.
Practically every project in the White Market is commercial & most of them are supported here.
Pobably because they are the works of good persons.
Unless the issue is that neither Drip or Purusha have White Market threads here.
I think the issue is they pissed off members and buyers.

I don't disagree with any of the comments, but the same could be said of abe with his pye project, but he doesn't seem to face quite the same level of wrath .......
I don't know why; maybe he didn't piss people as much... :)
This issue came to my attention only because one of the posts had been reported, which is a task for mods. As such, the reported post did not violate the group's rules, which resulted in no action.
Indeed, as a member, being witness of such misbehaving would trigger a reaction of disapproval.

Unless the issue is that neither Drip or Purusha have White Market threads here.

Hello Rob

I don't know what was the situation with Lamayesha/Drip, or it was before my time or I was not aware of it at the moment.

As for Purusha, the complaints were from a lot of different members at the time and he was expelled from here, something that as far as I know rarely happens.
Purusha then stated that he didn't need Groupdiy and was doing his own forum, something that he did, he actually cloned at the time the Groupdiy forum, even to exactly the same sections. Not that I was surprised by it because he just copying everything he could for profit, his only goal was commercial with no honour in respecting the work of other members around here.

So he doesn't need Groupdiy, he makes his own groupdiy clone forum for his own online company, he received money to sell the projects so he should be the one to provide the support for his products. This is just my opinion and take on the subject.

Hello Rob

I don't know what was the situation with Lamayesha/Drip, or it was before my time or I was not aware of it at the moment.

As for Purusha, the complaints were from a lot of different members at the time and he was expelled from here, something that as far as I know rarely happens.
Purusha then stated that he didn't need Groupdiy and was doing his own forum, something that he did, he actually cloned at the time the Groupdiy forum, even to exactly the same sections. Not that I was surprised by it because he just copying everything he could for profit, his only goal was commercial with no honour in respecting the work of other members around here.

So he doesn't need Groupdiy, he makes his own groupdiy clone forum for his own online company, he received money to sell the projects so he should be the one to provide the support for his products. This is just my opinion and take on the subject.
Thanks for that. I've been around here long enough to know exactly what Purusha's misdemenour was. Last year I completed a drip mk2 670 with what I believe is a Purusha case. I bought both items as a pair used on the BM.
The drip board actually works quite well, but I wouldn't have paid a new price for it. The documentation was quite good, but I needed to get a couple of questions answered & basically he doesn't seem to respoind to emails. I eventually got some info about it from someone here. My thoughts are for the money he should have the best support in the world, but he doesn't seem interested in any after sales

The case on the other hand was a nightmare. It was obviously designed with no real knowledge of what was fitting in there. I had to heavily modify & strengthen it to take the weight of the transformers. I replaced the back panel because it would have crumpled with the weight. The powder coat is just peeling off in sheets. It's also not at all repair friendly because of the poor design, so if anything goes wrong it's going to be a total ball ache. It's not worth the $450 someone paid for it new, fortunately it wasn't me.

I was originally building this point to point but it was taking ages (I started getting the parts in 2001) & now I'm getting a bit older I just wanted to get it finished before I croak so I actually get some use out of it. In retrospect I wish I had carried on with the P2P version.

Last edited:
Are there any other "companies" we're blackballing around here for this activity btw? Or just DIYRacked?

There is a website called Mic & Mod that doesn't get much love around here.
The guy running it stole pcb's designs and projects from a lot of people from groupdiy and he clearly stated in the website that it was the design of "their team of engineers". A lot of bullshit in that website, but basically is a solo man operation that stole other peoples work from groupdiy and called it is own.
There's threads about it in here:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/micandmod-1176-kit-any-experiences.59634/
https://groupdiy.com/threads/anyone-from-mic-mod.69123/#post-989901

As far as I'm concerned I only remember these 2 cases, Purusha pissed of a lot of people and I completely understand the reasons, he also proudly stated that he didn't need GroupDIY as he was making is own forum, something that he did and copied the exact same layout and sections of GroupDIY, but it seems he was not successful in running a forum alone as he is just a greedy seller and has no helpful mentality. So his forum doesn't exist any-longer and that's why people came back resorting to GroupDIY as they don't have any support from him in the products they buy.
I remember the time Purusha was around here and I never, ever seen a post with Purusha helping anyone out or contributing to this forum besides trying to sell his stuff.

So DIYracked and Mic & Mod are a no go for me

Last edited:
As a user and fellow DIY'er you're never stepping on anyone's toes.

The thing is that we are starting to have some hesitance being the customer support section of commercial operations like Drip, mic&mod or Purusha - simply because, as abbey put it above "substituting for a seller that does not fulfill their basic obligations" feels wrong...

/Jakob E.
May I ask you mods what is the essential difference between what Drip does in relation to Purusha and why helping in Drip projects is ok but not in Purusha projects (Igor's projects)?
I don't really see a difference - Drip are definitely not treating their customers fairly

Hi
I saw that conversation a bit late today - I'm a bit confused. Think I could help out some of the U73b builders (Drip) with some issues (mostly over pm) - should I be ashamed ? I don't know much about Purusha, but I built quite a few Drip Designs with decent mods. I also admit, that his designs are not thoroughly completed and sometimes contain errors. Maybe these are too expensive. He's offline often. But where do you find really easy and cheap DIY kits and support for the legends he tries to reconstruct? I'd say his bugs are completely correspondent to endless "tube knowledge" on the net (PSU design / Cap overkill / impedance mismatch / grounding issues). Still I see moderators helping out a great deal with such a stuff. It's a very old technology and some knowledge got lost.
:rolleyes: Walter

Disregarding the issues with intellectual property and ripping other peoples work off (I don't know the chain of events so unsure what the issue was/is and what products, if any, were ripped off)....

I've built two of the DR609 and they've turned out great. I think the total build cost came in around $1400ea including custom front panels. I felt the provided front panels felt a little cheap, and had a screen print oversight where both channels were labeled "Channel 2" Other than that the build went great and they have been happy since I built them about a year and a half ago.

The AMP340 if I remember correctly is just the output opamp stage driving the output transformer. I think it's synonymous with a neve BA340 (or possibly the BA640?)

I'd be happy to help with any questions you have. I think I even still have the mouser carts I built saved if you'd like them, though I can't guarantee it's 100% accurate.... I usually make one or two mistakes based on part size, but nothing that's going to break the bank or be too confusing.

-Ethan Barrette
I would like to know what the problem is when using the 609 product without the 340 board?

Back