DIY RCA 44 FEELER

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinheronmusic

I am surprised there aren't more accessible DIY ribbon mic projects. I recently saw a video where this guy makes a DIY RCA 44 out of wood.

Does anyone have an interest in getting a project together?

I know RCA 44 grills are available for $250.
I am wondering if we could get parts laser cut to make the ribbon mounting bracket?

Hey I worked at AEA for 8+ years I can tell you that motor design is the R84. A 44 has a lot more acoustics going on with the shape of the motor and the baffles. If you don't have a steel return you are leaving level just on the floor. My recommendation would be to use someone like SendCutSend to laser cut steel returns. I am happy to lend any other knowledge.

Hey I worked at AEA for 8+ years I can tell you that motor design is the R84. A 44 has a lot more acoustics going on with the shape of the motor and the baffles. If you don't have a steel return you are leaving level just on the floor. My recommendation would be to use someone like SendCutSend to laser cut steel returns. I am happy to lend any other knowledge.
Ahh, so you are saying that the entire design in the video above is the R84. Total mind bloe. I looked it up and found a picture of the RCA 44 guts. I suppose we are back at square one in terms of plans. SendCutSend will not accept png files, and I don't have access to a vector program at the moment. I am at a loss for how to move forward.

Attachments

• naked44.jpg
    naked44.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 52
If your goal is to maintain the internal shape for acoustic purposes, I would suggest following AEA's lead - use smaller neodymium magnets attached to 'false' U magnets. You can see the magnets in this picture with the N/S polarity labeled, attached to what I think are false 'U magnets'. Then maybe use a ribbon section from a donor mic that has a larger ribbon motor.
Picture from a google search.
You could also look at the BK-11 internal structure, which was meant to be an acoustic improvement over the 44 and has a smoother high end.

I am interested in doing this with the addition of the acoustic labyrinth on the back side (77 ku-2 ku-3)

Attachments

• aea-r44cx_inside-transducer.jpg
    aea-r44cx_inside-transducer.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 34
Well, I was browsing ebay and it looks like someone just made this project a whole lot more obtainable in terms of aesthetic. Can anyone shine some light as to why this shouldn't be used for this project?

They are pricey, but somehow I remember my M49b project from pctop being a bit pricey.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/294382048061

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 21
Agreed that the drawback is that it is made of resin. Not authentic, may not wear well, etc
Base looks to be solid where the transformer would go. Would have to bore a hole to drop a transformer in, and a second hole to route wires down.

Back