DIY SVT tube bass amp

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/byacey/SVT4.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/byacey/svt3.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/byacey/svt2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v354/byacey/svt1.jpg

The light bulb is just that. It lights up the interior of the box through an amber colored filter so it looks like a small nuclear power plant meltdown inside. In fact, it makes it impossible to determine if the heaters in the tube are lit.

yes

1)polarity flipper
2)never seen an unused triode in a commercial product-
3)R7 might be a gain tweaker, depending on the tube used...

or Yacey f'ed up the schemo because, in secret, he really does like to yodel out there in the great klondike.
cooling off yet, William?

eat your heart out:

mv_weather.jpg

Whatever would make you think it's cold here?

I was going to take the boat out this weekend and do a little fishing, but the bar on my chainsaw isn't long enough to cut a channel through the ice for the boat due to the ice thickness. All kidding aside, in the winter we drive trucks on the lakes when we go ice fishing, the ice is sometimes 3 to 4 feet thick.

>>>never seen an unused triode in a commercial product

Fender Blues Jr. bro! V2a. Just sittin' there idling. Some guys like to turn that into a CF to drive the tone stack.

Nice popsicle stand there, Bill. Thanks for the pics!

Peace!
Charlie

speaking of bias, do you believe any of this:

"I read about this trick several years ago, and even did several experiments. The theory goes like this:

Every transformer (or electromagnetic device) has two non linear regions. One is near zero current, and the other is the saturation region. Look up "BH curves". We all know about saturation in a transformer, and the resulting ugly sounding distortion. There is another, much smaller non linear region where some of the initial energy applied to the tansformer is used up magnetizing the core without generating any current in the secondary. This leads to a "dead zone" around the zero net current region.

This effect does not come into play in a SE amp since the DC current flowing through the transformer primary biases the transformer right into the center of its linear region. The transformer in a P-P amp ideally has no net magnetizing force at idle, so the non linear region occupies the center of the important "first watt" zone. When a P-P amp is used with efficient speakers the effect can be a loss of detail and a "dull sound".

It is possible to move the "dead zone" away from the "first watt" region by applying a significant offset in bias current of the output tubes. The tubes must be biased hot enough so that the tube with the lowest current does not generate distortion. This technique works best with class A P-P amp designs. A significant DC offset requires a gap in the transformer core, which then reduces the primary inductance, requiring a much larger transformer.

My experiments used an 80 watt guitar amp transformer ( I have a lot of them) similar to the one I used in the 300Beast (30 watt P-P). I restacked the core to include a gap, which was optimized to allow the transformer to work in a SE amp.

I tested the modified transformer with the idea of building an asymetrical P-P amp for HiFi purposes, and believe that the idea has some merit for lower powered P-P amps (I was making 10 watts). I came to the conclusion that it would just be easier to build an SE amp.

These experiments quickly lead to the idea that the asymetrical P-P amp had some serious use as a guitar amp. It is possible to use two different output tubes, at two different bias currents, to build an amp that sounds clean up to a point, then transitions to nasty abruptly without needing to be extremely loud. Much more experimenting is needed here.

also of interest:

"In E/I and C core OPT's you can add DC bias for reduced distortion. Chicago Transformer, Peerless and others did this by deliberately unbalancing the DC resistance in the primary halves. It also messes with the tubes and is not good when the system is called upon for maximum performance.

Better to put a gap in the core and flatten the permeability hump that way instead. That is what DC off set and gaps do and it has a direct relationship to how much distortion you have under 400 Hz. Commercial core does not provide anything but a ferrous focusing window for the B Field event, above 400 Hz, and the increased permeability in the core, as frequency drops, just interferes with the antenna event and creates distortion.

Only problem with either scheme is that you will eat inductance, which is what gives you the reactive load match that provides low frequencies in the first place. Only free lunch is no saturation induced reminance in the core so no zero crossing distortion in PP and no permitivity defined "settling" time on the back half of a signal in a SE OPT either. No way out of inductance equals distortion either.

[quote author="acdc126"]okabass, on the site talkbass.com, you said "I connected one 2k/5W ceramic wire wound resistor wrong. It didn't burn and smoke: it literally exploded away" :S i cant find that 2k resistor in the schematic but it must be very bad if it explode. i did 2 errors like that when i've made my marshall jtm45, but im more lucky than you because nothing broke, it was only a bad bias too low because of a 30k resistor that i used for a filter circuit of the 6,3v filament. it was on the wrong part. i just waste my time to find why it was impossible to have more than -40v on bias and bias meter was so crazy i always turn off immediatly :p

other error, i forget to ground the valve 1B (preamp 2) you can imagine how noisy it was when i turned the volume of input 2.

not easy to build or modify without error. :thumb:[/quote]

HI

My PSU is a bit different from the original. Yes, the resistor really explode away with a bluewhite flash. Afterwards I found only a couple of ceramic fragments in the chassis. An electrolyte after the resistor has shorted; that's why it happens (I belive).

[quote author="Kid Squid"]Right ,
Think I got my next bass project sorted then :wink:

oka, looks bloody marvellous that !

Steve :thumb:[/quote]

HI

Thank you.

I'm not sure is there my homepage address. However, here it is.

http://www.okabass.suntuubi.com/?cat=1

Back