DIY tape recorder

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRR

I have a curious little book that tells how to build a tape or wire recorder using only household scrap, right down to filing head-laminations out of transformer stock.

MagRecQuartermaineCover.jpg

10.5 Meg PDF file

Wire Recorders.... (forgot about those)
Just waiting for that rep post now..
"My recordings are a bit sterile. How can I emulate the vintage sound of wire?"

Hmmm, maybe a cool effect hiding here. Get that old Leadbelly vibe by recording your mono mix onto wire. I mean people sing thru bullhorns and telephones and get platinum albums.

Maybe record Clapton's tribute to Robert Johnson onto wire, then back to cassette.

[quote author="CJ"]Hmmm, maybe a cool effect hiding here. Get that old Leadbelly vibe by recording your mono mix onto wire. I mean people sing thru bullhorns and telephones and get platinum albums.[/quote]

Yeah, but Leadbelly never recorded onto wire. His earliest recordings (1934, Library of Congress) were on aluminum discs, his last recordings were on magnetic tape, and everything in between was standard 78 lacquers.

Peace,
Paul (just nit-picking) (Big Leadbelly fan)

> endless debates over different wire alloys, rusty wire versus galvanized...

Seriously: it matters. Both the alloy and the rust.

Altho I never saw Galvanized recording wire. Maybe that's what the "Lost Leadbelly Sessions" were recorded on....

I wonder if steel fishing line would work. I bet those wire recorders had to have a pretty good IPS figure to get any resolution.

The "Pick a Bail of Cotton" music video of Hudie is pretty cool, even if itis dubbed.

I have a few Lomax things from that Sounds of the South cd collection which are pretty neat. Didn't realize the fife was so prevalent back then.

That is a mastering grade machine. Barbie wire master recorder.

Hey Jakob, do you have a good tape... sorry, wire supplier? :grin:

chrissugar

I have got a book at home which is a DIY step by step instructions on a Mag Tape Recorder
Also contains step by step instructions on building the valve PSU, valve amplifiers as well as the tape recorder itself.
With schematics, BOMs etc..
The tape drive units are OEM parts which I bet are not available now...
Also instructions on biasing...
Not a bad little book....
(The other one in the series was Build your own TV)
here is a picture..

07_2.JPG

[quote author="PRR"]> I have got a book at home

Do you think the copyright owners would object to posting it?

(It does not seem to be listed in the copyright lookup tool.)

I think Pete Millet would be pleased to host it.[/quote]
I will have a go at scanning it...
Might have to wait till next week as I am changing jobs and have to hand my laptop back (as I don;t have a working PC at home) - my new job will get me another work from home laptop...

[quote author="uk03878"][quote author="PRR"]> I have got a book at home

Do you think the copyright owners would object to posting it?

(It does not seem to be listed in the copyright lookup tool.)

I think Pete Millet would be pleased to host it.[/quote]
I will have a go at scanning it...
Might have to wait till next week as I am changing jobs and have to hand my laptop back (as I don;t have a working PC at home) - my new job will get me another work from home laptop...[/quote]

Bump.

I'd be real interested in seeing this if you could post a copy somewhere.

It is on my list...
Really sorry - just bought a new house, just created a new company and become self employed etc....

Latest posts

Back