Do you have a 3d printer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abbey road d enfer said:
This week-end has been devoted to making Eurorack PCB holders.
https://fr.farnell.com/schroff/60807-181/support-pcb-sur-panneau/dp/2292872
Look at the price!
This is a version for self-tapping screws. I'll make another with captive nuts.
The price of these keeps going up and up. A couple of years ago I bought a job lot at £1 each. I don't use them any more. Instead a use a much simpler and smaller device made by Ettinger:

https://uk.farnell.com/ettinger/05-60-223/cube-standoff-threaded-m2-5-m3/dp/1466865

It means the front panel fixing holes are now 88.9mm apart instead of 100mm with the die-cast  versions. The fixing holes are also closer to the edge of the panel which leaves more room for front panel legend. And they are about one tenth the price of the die-cast type.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
The price of these keeps going up and up. 
Ridiculously indeed.

A couple of years ago I bought a job lot at £1 each. I don't use them any more. Instead a use a much simpler and smaller device made by Ettinger:

https://uk.farnell.com/ettinger/05-60-223/cube-standoff-threaded-m2-5-m3/dp/1466865

It means the front panel fixing holes are now 88.9mm apart instead of 100mm with the die-cast  versions. 
Which is a little concern. I want as much as I can be conforming to standards. That eliminates discussions and need for justification.

The fixing holes are also closer to the edge of the panel which leaves more room for front panel legend.
That's indeed welcome.

And they are about one tenth the price of the die-cast type.
Which is yet too expensive. In my previous days I had similar items custom-made by a machinist, but it's an extinct species.  :(
I guess if you order 1000's from China (or India  ;) ) you could get a reasonable price...
With the 3D printer, these parts cost a penny.

Attachments

• PCB holders v2.jpg
    PCB holders v2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 17
We have two Prusa MK3s here at the office and one of them is mine.
We used to have a cube pro 3d printer at Darkglass it was a pain in the butt. Expensive and useless. the filament was not standard, expensive and did not work most of the time.

I have had great experience with the prusa. cheap filaments=problems. probably other printers have less artifacts and i´m sure I can get rid of the ones I have If I spend time researching but for what it does I don´t need more. I like the involvement that prusa have on the DIY community and the improvement of the technology, so that is an extra.

abbey road d enfer said:
This week-end has been devoted to making Eurorack PCB holders.
https://fr.farnell.com/schroff/60807-181/support-pcb-sur-panneau/dp/2292872
Look at the price!
This is a version for self-tapping screws. I'll make another with captive nuts.

What I'd dearly love is for someone to 3d print me a battery cover for that model of digital caliper. I have exactly the same one and the battery cover is MIA, rendering the whole thing useless :-(

They were even selling 3d printers for about 300€ in Lidl over here about a year ago. I looked them up online and people seemed to be getting usesble results from them. Just didn't have the money or space for it at the time, but I've seen more and more ways that having one could help me out since then....

I'm just getting started in 3D printing and have a Creality Ender 5 Pro.

I agree that the CAD software has a learning curve but if you put in the time you get a KILLER addition to your toolbox. YouTube is your friend... lot's of good CAD software tutorials here.

I use Fusion 360 as well. I absolutely hate the cloud thing but it's by far the best (free) package out there IMO. Don't waste your time on FreeCAD as I did in the beginning - it has way to many bugs and quirks!

rob_gould said:
What I'd dearly love is for someone to 3d print me a battery cover for that model of digital caliper. I have exactly the same one and the battery cover is MIA, rendering the whole thing useless :-(
It all starts with a good drawing of the part to be made. Some of these parts are actually quite difficult to draw in 3D. Beware that precise adjustment may require several adjustments.

They were even selling 3d printers for about 300€ in Lidl over here about a year ago.
They are getting cheaper everyday:there are several sub-$100 printers that got good reviews.

rbuskov said:
I use Fusion 360 as well. I absolutely hate the cloud thing but it's by far the best (free) package out there IMO. Don't waste your time on FreeCAD as I did in the beginning - it has way to many bugs and quirks!

I just looked at Fusion 360. I am not sure it is as free as I would like it to be. First you have to sign up for an account and then you can get the personal version for free and then only for a year. What happens when the year is up??

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I just looked at Fusion 360. I am not sure it is as free as I would like it to be. First you have to sign up for an account and then you can get the personal version for free and then only for a year. What happens when the year is up??

Cheers

Ian

They keep it rolling. Whilst you're making less than 100K, they let you keep on using it for free.

Yes.

That's rhe solution i'm using right now. I can't realy compare to others 3d CAD software, but i think it's by far the leaqt powerfull.

It can be quite buggy sometimes, but for simple parts, i think it's good enough.

Cheers

Thomas

I have been a Fusion360 user for getting on for two years.

Rochey said:
They keep it rolling. Whilst you're making less than 100K, they let you keep on using it for free.

I think this has changed now actually.  Instead of three levels

1 - hobby
2 - small business earning <100k
3 - enterprise business

There are now only two levels

1 - hobby
2 - business

And anyone who isn't a hobbyist should be paying a subscription.

Though how much of a check is made when you register I'm not sure. 

john12ax7 said:
I'm weary and try to avoid the free / subscription type software.  Got burned by Draftsight this way.
Right; that's why I switched to Nanocad. Transition from Autocad to Nanocad is instant. Same menus, same command lines, same shortcuts...

abbey road d enfer said:
Right; that's why I switched to Nanocad. Transition from Autocad to Nanocad is instant. Same menus, same command lines, same shortcuts...
Interesting. I just downloaded it and will try it this evening. I notice the free version is dated 2007. Do you find that causes any restrictions?

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I notice the free version is dated 2007. Do you find that causes any restrictions?
My version says build 2000, copyright 2013...
I have never had reasons for concern, it produces files compatible with Autocad 2013, that's all I need.
When I open dxf with either of my go-to dxf-to-gcode converters, there's not a hiccup.

abbey road d enfer said:
When I open dxf with either of my go-to dxf-to-gcode converters, there's not a hiccup.

Is this the equivalent of checking gerbers?  I've had dxfs open different with some CAD programs, so someone is not translating right.  Can you recommend a dxf to gcode converter?

abbey road d enfer said:
My version says build 2000, copyright 2013...
I have never had reasons for concern, it produces files compatible with Autocad 2013, that's all I need.

I just had a play with it. Unfortunately I was not very impressed with the interface. No obvious way to do horizontal or vertical lines or lines at a given angle. No means of doing parallel lines either that I could see.

Cheers

Ian

ruffrecords said:
I just had a play with it. Unfortunately I was not very impressed with the interface.
It's the standard Autocad interface. It appeals more to people who had formal drafting tuition.

No obvious way to do horizontal or vertical lines or lines at a given angle.
There is a possibility to work in polar; you need to check the help. Me, I don't use them. I'd rather draw a horizontal line and rotate it by a specified angle.

No means of doing parallel lines either that I could see
Either copy or offset. Copy will move according to whatever  you want, offset will copy at a specified perpendicular distance.

One last defence of Fusion360.

You can export DXF's wtihout issue.
You can export STL's without issue
You can export OBJ's without issue.

The biggest danger with them is losing access to the tool itself, not your content.
For most of the things we do (basic geometric shapes, extrusions and boolean math) most other tools could be picked up pretty quickly.

/R

Back