DOA sockets

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see that Mouser stocks those as well, and the price seems decent.  But, they currently have only 225 in stock vs. Digikey's 9791 <g>.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/TE-Connectivity/5645500-1/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduif9xKIpcB76GrJ6CAeoVVj61%2fzKOxSpwU%3d

Bri

There are cheaper (in Q>10) mill-max ones at digikey. They sit pretty much flush and should work in most PCBs as they are the same size (0.072" diameter) as the ones everyone used to use "back in the day." I posted the part number in the help thread for 312/990 PCB Niels and I did a few years ago:

ED5016-ND

Does anyone know of a UK source for these or similar?

I had a quick look on farnell, but all the candidates were US stock, which puts £15 on to the shipping fee straight away...

For poor man's DOA sockets, I found out that 1mm bootlace ferrules fit perfectly with Access 312 PCBs. DOAs are seated tight enough as is. Pliers can be used to reduce the diameter as well.
They fit (the larger) CAPI footprint too with some more solder and a bit of patience with getting it mounted straight. Perhaps 1.2mm or 1.5mm would be easier fit, but didn't have any at hand to check.

Sure, not as sexy as golden spring loaded Mill Max, but they're 1/100 of the cost and easily available just about everywhere.

Attachments

• sockets.jpg
    sockets.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 48
Nice catch/workaround. I struggled with the decision to buy $300 in fancy pins, but could not find a serious alternative.  They do make versions where the outside shells are not gold plated, and they are roughly 30% cheaper than the full-on gold ones.  I mean if you're burying the sockets and pads in solder anyway, you've sealed it from the elements.

Milmax Part number is:
0332-0-15-0-34-27-10-0

Edit: Mouser # 575-032200
(I might be the reason they are temporarily out of stock)

71PkFEy.jpg

Latest posts

Back