DOD FX75B - Stereo Flanger - Outputs nearly 100% out of phase

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixproaudio

Just had this unit come in and the stereo outputs are nearly completely out of phase even when the pedal is in bypass. Is this typical for some pedals? I see a feedback from U5A to U5B which seems like it would result in a direct out of phase signal...is this remedied some how? I just don't get it. Schematic attached.

first thing I tried was swapping the LM1458s as one is used only for the effects section in hopes that maybe I would see some change, but nothing changed.

Unsure on this one.

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 3.24.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 3.24.39 PM.png
    474.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That seems to be how many of these pedals derive stereo output , One channel is a copy of the input signal but out of phase , the other effect channel has the modulation applied . Boss chorus does it the same way .By using a mono jack either half inserted or fully plugged into a balanced mixer input you can very easily flip the phase of either signal .

Just had this unit come in and the stereo outputs are nearly completely out of phase even when the pedal is in bypass. Is this typical for some pedals? I see a feedback from U5A to U5B which seems like it would result in a direct out of phase signal...is this remedied some how? I just don't get it. Schematic attached.

first thing I tried was swapping the LM1458s as one is used only for the effects section in hopes that maybe I would see some change, but nothing changed.

Unsure on this one.

Any thoughts?

The signal path goes through U1A (inverting), then through U5A (inverting) to OUT_BOTTOM, then from the output of U5A to U5B (inverting) to OUT_TOP.
So yes, there is an extra inverting op-amp stage between the two outputs, so they will always be opposite polarity.

Thank you for you're replies and for keeping a sane man from going crazy.

Since only half of U1A is used can I feed U5B to it and flip the phase there? I know it sorta defeats the purpose, but the original design just doesn't work at all for the application the user has for it. If so, can I just do a follower? Where would I tie ground?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back