Does anybody know of a diy project for a transient shaper ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shroomystic

Hey to the forum !

Id like to build a transient shaper (maybe coupled with a compressor, like the https://www.tegeler.com/Magnetismus2/Index does)

Or maybe something in the ballpark of the plugin >boz audio labs transgressor<...
-> transgressor-2

Or yeah well, anything really, cause my research to date has not really surfaced anything interesting at all.

-----------
Comp + Transient Shaping in one box.
or
Only a Transient Shaper on its own.
----------

What are your thoughts about that ?

Sadly this one never made it into a pcb project, atleast it seems like it.
But maybe random*source takes that step some day...

(i may actually purchase the frequency shifter pcbs though, thanks for driving me into their arms and reminding me of their awesomeness)
Did you consider designing a pcb for it yourself ?

Sadly this one never made it into a pcb project,

I'm quite certain that the 'transient' circuit above made it into a PCB at some (if not multiple) points, but the original product was still in production so... (and it still is ?)

Cloning something just for oneself is perfectly fine, but making that available publicly -- either commercially or even as a free giveaway via a forum -- is sure to cause problems.

Shouldn't stop you from experimenting with that circuit.

Yes I do :rolleyes:

https://groupdiy.com/threads/q-for-transient-designer-user-proto-on-the-bench.81246/
But as already stated, this is a unit in production, so I won't share more than what is in the link just above.

With little search most data are available for anyone ! this is a great study, and I encourage anyone interested to build there own.
I just warn that the 20 opamp sidechain (perchanel) is some work to route , I was not able to put two sidechain in an eurocard (100x160) whit 10 TL074DIP, so I go with SOIC (which I find faster to solder anyway)

Cheers
Zam

What zamproject did is quite unique for the number of channels and the VCAs used.

TD is still a very interesting circuit.

But should anyone intend to go the THAT218X route to just clone a stereo unit, could just as well go and buy a used TD2 these days for under 300EUR (!) -- then could mod till the heart's content and put into a case of one's liking. Those faceplates are indeed ugly as poo (also the SPL power TXs and PSUs might be something to look into).

UNLESS, of course, one is mainly in for the learning,.. then it should be loads of fun ;)

As for the Tegler, seems like a VCA, followed by a TD, followed by XFMR "mojo" output.

Whereas the Transgressor (plugin) blurb says it has individual EQ on both attack and sustain, plus a mix or wet/dry for each (?). Could get complex for number of op amp stages. Possibly two VCAs per channel needed (one for attack, one for sustain). Each might need parallel path for: subtraction, eq'uing, summation back in. But I could be wrong.

What zamproject did is quite unique for the number of channels and the VCAs used.
Not really, it's just a TD4 (or let say a dual TD2 as maybe there is differences) where I use VCA card with buffer I/O I had laying around.
The only adaptation I made is resistors value to match the sidechain output CV range as the VCA card uses 2 paralleled 2150A with dif (E+/E-) CV control.

What about the Sound Skulptor Tape Simulator?
AFAIK this is a completely different thing

To explain why I suggested that, the OP asked about the Magnetismus 2 Transient Shaper, which is a compressor, followed by transient shaper, followed by a transformer

The transient shaper is described as similar to tape recording to round off transients:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The Magnetimus 2 is a good candidate to be Tegeler’s most versatile device: it was first conceived, among other things, for processing transient-rich signals, such as drums, synthesizers, and acoustic guitars. It combines a modern, flexible VCA compressor with a downstream transient shaper. The result is a thick, rich sound, that helps integrate tracks better into the mix, similar to a tape recording.

Transient shaper​

The transient shaper does not simply change the level of the transients, but, much like a tape machine, it rounds out the transients. The three different Flux Modes (Eisen, Kobalt, and Nickel) will run your signal through different transformers that emulate analogically the saturation of tapes made respectively of iron, cobalt, and nickel.

Did you consider designing a pcb for it yourself ?
Yeah most definitely, i mean if thats the only route to go then i will certainly take it :)

I'm quite certain that the 'transient' circuit above made it into a PCB at some (if not multiple) points, but the original product was still in production so... (and it still is ?)

Cloning something just for oneself is perfectly fine, but making that available publicly -- either commercially or even as a free giveaway via a forum -- is sure to cause problems.

Shouldn't stop you from experimenting with that circuit.
Yeah for sure, thats the right way to look at. I mean the schematics are there. Thanks for the comment !

Maybe this one can help...
It has an interesting sidechain
Best
Im not sure if i did get anything wrong... but this seems to be jhaible one ?

Is yours any different or does this all come down to what jhaible already did and where the full schematics are available ?

------

Apart from all of this it may be the best route to go, to build the Jhaible Transient Shaper and also get a SPL Transient Designer 2, cant hurt to have two different units, chained together :)

Thanks for the recommendation !
( attached )here is the service manual (with schematics) of the Aphex model 622!

I had the Tegeler Magnetismus2
for a while and sold again for very little money. I liked it very much on drums
but less on other stuff. I should never have sold it!

now I am trying to create a similar machine by combining devices

Attachments

• aphex 622 user & sm.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
Back