does anyone remember the spatializer?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scenaria

it was a two space rackmount box.. I think it had tt patchpoints on the front.. white in color..
came with a remote that sported 8 panner joysticks...

wasnt around for very long...

I remember that sucker...saw it used on a hell of a lot of R&B mixes in the mid to late 90's. I know the guys who got the last two made a few years back. 24 TT patchpoints in the front and optional XLR's in the back, you could gang multiple joystick units together (I think) if you had more than 8 channels going at once. You could also automate with a sequencer, we always ended up using an MPC. It was real hot for a while, then it kind of vanished once protools took over.

Zach

yup

I had one for about 8 months and then it mysteriously vanished... I think we had it on loan... they went belly up and took it back

They had started making a two channel unit and a plug in version, but I think everyone figured why pay so much for theirs when the behr. version was under $200. I also figure the rise in 5.1 kind of overshadowed how cool the effect was.

Yes, I certainly do! I designed that unit back in the early 90's. Unfortunately, the folks at Spatializer now believe their product should be software rather than hardware. I think the Pro Spatializer was an amazing box ... it was used on a large number of hit recordings as well as live mixes. I've toyed with the idea of designing an updated version of it just to prove to the Spatializer folks that's there's still a market for it (and to boost the value of the stock I own in the company).

I've always wanted to get the hardware piece with the 8 mini joystick remote control!! :thumb: Only if I had 5K some where........

Wondering how different it is to build a single unit transformer MS encoder with a joystick control as a single channel :?:

wow

thats pretty cool to have the kat who designed it in here :)

I think there could be a market for a "modular" type expandable box...

perhaps an 8 channel remote but a 2U box that can start out with perhaps 2 channel cards and allow more to be added later as needed...

that would be pretty sweet... it would allow for product placement to be easier going as the price could be alot lower (get em in more hands)

The basic Spatializer(r) circuit is NOT a simple additive or subtractive matrix. Think of it as a frequency dependent "anti-crosstalk" arrangement (patented). The time delays in this filter create phantom sound sources that seem to be outside the span of the speakers. The circuit is not as simple as an MS matrix. The main claim to fame of the process is that, unlike virtually all other "stereo enhancers," the processed L and R channels can be combined to mono without losing any information. Many other schemes severely alter the mix (commonly attenuate vocals panned to center) if processed stereo channels are combined to mono. This is especially important for vinyl disc cutting and FM radio (both of which are often listened to in mono).

Back