Dolby CAT22 mod - the extras

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tata

hello gents,

could you please help me modding the CAT22 further than the lift (R109, R209..) and jump (R109 lifted and wired to R186, etc) mods ?

i did these, did the switch mod too (lift+jump in one), and i also added some potentiometers. 50k pots seem to have a nice effect in series with these resistors.

IMG_0907_mod_box_600x.jpg

this is my demo of a lift mod (only) + some more fun

manual says: "The overall signal gain of the compressor is precisely set during the manufacture by selecting R117."  and R217, R317, R417 - as the compressors are identical, afaik.

does this mean we can change the gain by changing those resistors? iirc R317 is 10.7k in my "adventure CAT22" module. i added a 10k pot in series to it - so far i hear no difference in sound. should i remove the R317 and leave just the pot?

IMG_1032x_R317_600x.jpg

can we change crossover freqs 'easily' ? band2 may be trickier than the others (?)

thank you for all your help

here is what i have now : (i have the in/out potentiometers wired in since this photo)

IMG_6347_piggyplate_x.jpg

its _awesome_, and it could be more awesome.. if anyone is intrested in modding this further.
im too noob to do all the mods id like to see/hear.

here is a fairly good quality scan of the CAT22 NRM, i hope it helps:
http://beatbybit.com/gears/Dolby/Dolby_CAT22.zip

for eg. id like to know if its possible to tune the lowpass filter w/ a potentiometer somehow?

thank you

This is really interesting me , What exactly does this mod do? (Bypassing the Noisereduction circuit?) Just from a quick glance at the Schematic the points J, M ,F ,S could be wired as separate inputs for the compressor stages. Or i guess you could choose to wire them before the Filter Circuit. I would LOVE it if someone could roughly explain how the Comp stage is working.

So after some staring on the schematic i think it might be possible to mod the CAT 22 into a CAT34.  You would then have sliders for the gain/Reduction on each FQ Band for example. I have a 34 at work so im going to open the Remote up to see whats inside sometime next week.

I still havent figured the comp part. Is it a differential FET amp where the 2 factory Resistors are? It could be the threshold? the 3rd resistor the makeup gain. But this is wild guessing.

so, i opened half the 43 up, that i have at work.  It is a lot more going on in there than i thought... Sadly the fader unit had a screw that vas F-ed so i couldn't get it open without a drill, and i didn't want to go there, so what kind of circuit they have in there will remain unanswered :-( 

Latest posts

Back