Donald trump. what is your take on him?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"President Donald Trump lashed out Sunday at Republican Sens. John McCain and Lindsey Graham for publicly second-guessing his executive order on refugees, calling them "weak on immigration" and "looking to start World War III."

The rebuke, in a pair of Sunday afternoon tweets, came after McCain (R-Ariz.) and Graham (R-S.C.) criticized Trump's executive order on immigration and refugee policy in a joint statement Sunday. They said they "fear this executive order will become a self-inflicted wound in the fight against terrorism."

Trump responded a few hours later.

"The joint statement of former presidential candidates John McCain & Lindsey Graham is wrong - they are sadly weak on immigration. The two ... .Senators should focus their energies on ISIS, illegal immigration and border security instead of always looking to start World War III," Trump wrote."

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/trump-mccain-graham-234342

nielsk said:
Attempting to blame the disastrous partition of India on Indians is absurd.
Along with millions of deaths, partition resulted in the creation of the prime nexus of Islamic terrorism.
While I am sure every imperialistic regime has taken great comfort in the "good" they have brought to their colonies (and to be fair, some of the infrastructure they built for their own purposes remains at least partially useful to the native population), if the western world continues to ignore that much of the problems in the world today are of their own creation  it will do nothing to actually solve them.
Self defense will always be important, but until we herald the end of the petroleum age and cease the exportation of others resources we only continue the need to defend ourselves from threats of our own creation.

Indeed.
But I'm afraid that self reflection won't happen.

Of Trump voters, slight majority voted 'against Clinton', rather than 'for Trump'.

https://twitter.com/FilthyRichmond/status/822590868263763972

I think this article is pretty dang spot on
https://medium.com/@yonatanzunger/trial-balloon-for-a-coup-e024990891d5#.clob8353p

The gist of it is the Trump admin (Bannon, Flynn, Kushner et al) was essentially seeing what they could get away with--a trial balloon for a coup, as the author puts it.  And, sadly, they can get away with a whole lot.  The gutting and/or shuttering of various govt. agencies is to get people out of the way--people who aren't interested in destroying this country, and might put up a fight to defend it. 

All you apologists need to wake up.  This is getting very dark very fast. 

I'm not apologizing for jack. Wasn't me that installed Clinton the miserable loser as the dem candidate. Maybe somebody can apologise to you for that, though?

Some google rich guy who likely had a big part in it wants to cry in his fruit loops, it's nothing to me.

"At a testy meeting with a crowd of constituents Sunday evening, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., became the latest Democratic senator to face a grassroots backlash for voting to confirm President Donald Trump’s nominee for director of the Central Intelligence Agency.

Whitehouse was one of 14 Democrats who voted last Monday to confirm Mike Pompeo, a fierce Trump ally who largely shares the president’s antagonism towards Muslims and personal privacy, and has strongly suggested that he supports bringing back intelligence gathering techniques that include torture.

“You are entitled to an explanation of why I have voted for some of the defense nominees and I will concede right off the bat that I may have been wrong,” Whitehouse told people in the auditorium. His talk was captured in video posted by activist filmmaker Sam Eilertsen and political blogger Steve Ahlquist.

“Why did I vote for Pompeo?” Whitehouse said. “I think that there are a lot of you who may disagree with me on this, and I appreciate it. Sometimes I feel pretty confident, sometimes you need to make a judgment call.”

“He’s a Rubio guy,” the senator continued, drowned out by a chorus of booing. “Sometimes you need to be in a position to say no if something really, really significant happens.”...

Whitehouse’s support for Pompeo was a focus of the anger. “This is a man who sees international politics and world history as a clash between Judeo-Christians and Muslims, who thinks Edward Snowden should be executed, who supported torture, and refused to say he thinks it is wrong to, to use Donald Trump’s terms, take out the families of accused terrorists,” said David Segal, executive director of Demand Progress, at the rally outside the event.

While Democrats are hampered by their own party’s 2013 filibuster reforms, which allow any nomination below the Supreme Court to pass with only 51 votes, activists say they are demanding united opposition, even if only to send a message.

“Democrats alone can’t block these appointments but they can make sure they don’t have our stamp of our approval,” Segal said. “They must vote as any one of us would vote: against torture, against surveillance, against authoritarianism, and against Trump.”

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/30/protesters-grill-democratic-senator-about-his-vote-for-trumps-cia-chief/

The Trump score. Congratulations senator Feinstein.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-trump-score/

You can look to the bottom of the list for those who oppose Trump most often, if that matters.

This is the Democratic National Convention (Klanbake) in New York in 1924.  (This actually happened, not fake news)
It's common knowledge that the Democratic party today is NOT the "Democratic" party of the early century. The southern states who fought for slavery in the civil war were "Democratic" at the time - Abraham Lincoln was a "Republican". Based on values, however, I think it is obvious that Lincoln would not have been a Republican today. Same with Teddy Roosevelt (great defender of the environment as public resource - which the modern day Republican party is rushing to sell off)

Attempting to blame the disastrous partition of India on Indians is absurd.
I'm afraid history does not agree with you.  Read the wiki entry on Partition of India.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partition_of_India

To precis: Following 1946 election in India,
However the British did not desire India to be partitioned and in one last effort to avoid it they arranged the Cabinet Mission plan.[58]

In June 1947, the nationalist leaders, including Nehru and Abul Kalam Azad on behalf of the Congress, Jinnah representing the Muslim League, B. R. Ambedkar representing the Untouchable community, and Master Tara Singh representing the Sikhs, agreed to a partition of the country along religious lines in stark opposition to Gandhi's views

So the British and Gandhi did not want partition but the Indians did, and they alone are responsible for what happened afterwards.  Always best to check facts first before believing urban myths.

DaveP

'and they alone are responsible for everything that happened afterwards' is a pretty big jump there, DaveP, but whatever.

This is the Democratic National Convention (Klanbake) in New York in 1924.  (This actually happened, not fake news)
It's common knowledge that the Democratic party today is NOT the "Democratic" party of the early century. The southern states who fought for slavery in the civil war were "Democratic" at the time - Abraham Lincoln was a "Republican". Based on values, however, I think it is obvious that Lincoln would not have been a Republican today. Same with Teddy Roosevelt (great defender of the environment as public resource - which the modern day Republican party is rushing to sell off)
Exactly, this was the point I was making.
It is ridiculous to blame people now for what their ancestors did, which most people at the time thought was normal behavior.
It is part of the guilt trip that many indulge in today.  When you read history, you find that they had an entirely alien way of thinking back then, but as our moral code has evolved from those times it is senseless and counter productive to try and overlay that history with revisionism.

DaveP

DaveP said:
It is ridiculous to blame people now for what their ancestors did, which most people at the time thought was normal behavior.
It is part of the guilt trip that many indulge in today.  When you read history, you find that they had an entirely alien way of thinking back then, but as our moral code has evolved from those times it is senseless and counter productive to try and overlay that history with revisionism.

DaveP

Guilt is one thing. No need for that per se. Acknowledging (!) what our ancestors did is another thing. This is needed to understand why we're facing what we're facing.  Don't go by what our history books told us.
Also, we, the colonialists' children, do still reap the benefits. So yes, we do have a debt. If we don't pay that debt, we will pay a bigger price.

Finally, I don't believe we are inherently better humans than our ancestors. We're just lucky. But if this generation gets involved in a big war, we (as a whole) will be as barbaric as we ever were, albeit in more systematic and efficient ways.

Well... not really.  The point I was making is labels aren't important, values are. Then or now. It is dangerous to normalize evil behavior and not see it for what it is.  I'm not even sure what point you are still trying to make, though, and how it relates to Trump & the USA

DaveP said:
It is ridiculous to blame people now for what their ancestors did,

Nobody's doing that Dave, that's just a tedious strawman.

DaveP said:

DaveP

What on earth does that mean, "overlay that history with revisionism"? Are you saying it was NOT immoral enslave black people because of their skin color, simply because that historical revisionism using our moral code overlaid on the people of that time? That's absurd.

Look, this is all perfectly simple Dave;

Our ancestors did things and their actions had consequences. If we want to improve society, the world actually, then we need to learn from their mistakes. This line of reasoning you appear to be embarking on now only seems to serve to sweep the dirt under a rug; "Yes, I see the bump, I know what that used to be, but let's just see a carpet now. No sense to dwell on the past"....

And the danger here is not only obviously repeating the mistakes of the past, but in addition to that also not correct mistakes and not create new ones which follow those earlier mistakes.

Secondly though, and I sort of bypassed this because I honestly think you don't want to talk about it but I feel it needs to be restated: You have to decide what sort of conversation you want to have and if you want to view human beings and our activities and advocate the principle of universality or not.

The way that applies to this conversation can be exemplified using Iran as an example. Iran is thought to be a "bad" and "dangerous" nation, as a whole, by mainly conservatives here. So, let's look at a couple of arguments, obviously paraphrased;

1: It's a bad nation for what it did in the past
2: It's a bad nation for what it currently does

So, if you want to be fair, then for #1 you'll have to look at the timeline of history and make a choice as to how far back you want to go. If you want to say that Iran is bad because it sponsored war for example, but don't want to go as far back as the 50's when the US threw out their leadership, then that's what we do, always. We go back to that certain period of time and no further. I think you mentioned going back through W's presidency in the US. Fine. So if we discuss the situation in Israel / Palestine we don't have to talk about the war in '48, we don't have to talk about the war in '67, and we don't have to talk about the war in the 70's. If you ever feel the urge to say "But the Arabs attacked..." that's now an invalid argument, because apparently back then things were different (morally) and we don't dial our history back that far. In other words if you want to be fair when discussing this and when viewing the world then you need to apply the same principle equally.

And for #2 you're still presented with a problem. I believe you said something along the lines of Iran being bad because it sends arms to Hezbollah. Ok, so sending arms to an aggressor apparently makes a nation bad.... or does it Dave? If that's your argument, is it fair to say that ANY nation that provides arms to an aggressor state or sub-state actor is a bad nation? I'm willing to bet that the answer is "no", because we all know who the biggest weapons exporters on the planet are, and at least a couple of them by definition can't be "bad" because of it. But if you want to be intellectually consistent you have to acknowledge that the principle you use as an argument applies to a lot more countries to a lot higher degree than just Iran.

So perhaps my question to you should really be if you actually believe in the principle of universality at all (?). I don't think you do, and that's a shame.

micaddict said:
Also, we, the colonialists' children, do still reap the benefits. So yes, we do have a debt. If we don't pay that debt, we will pay a bigger price.

A very good point that is often missed. I think part of the current problems in the US for example has to do with capitalism's nature (bear with me here) and how people aren't at all competing equally on the market. This means that since a person with more wealth can reap more benefits, the black population was at a huge disadvantage once freed from slavery, simply because they lacked the means to effectively compete on the market. In other words, the wealth discrepancy today is built on the backs of black slaves. So while all my white friends, and most of my friends are white, are not racist, those who are American are at an advantage today because of what their ancestors did. There's just no way around that.

micaddict said:
Finally, I don't believe we are inherently better humans than our ancestors. We're just lucky. But if this generation gets involved in a big war, we (as a whole) will be as barbaric as we ever were, albeit in more systematic and efficient ways.

I totally agree again. To a large degree we engage in the same crap and the difference is the sophistication of the means with which we try to meet our goals.

The Muslim ban:

Based on an interview with Giuliani (watch the video) ]Washington Post writes:

"Former New York mayor Rudy W. Giuliani said President Trump wanted a “Muslim ban” and requested he assemble a commission to show him “the right way to do it legally.”"

So there it is. The current president of the USA wants to ban Muslims while allowing and giving preferential treatment to Christian refugees. I don't see how that isn't entirely unconstitutional.

Further more, I shudder when I hear arguments like John's that the vote for Trump was to ensure a good SCOTUS nomination. In light of this violation of the constitution how on earth could you trust Trump to find a good nominee????

The market dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/america-dropped-26171-bombs-2016-obama-legacy

tands said:
The market dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/america-dropped-26171-bombs-2016-obama-legacy

You do realize this thread is about Trump, yes?

You brought up black folks being deprived of the blessings of competing in 'markets', unlike your white friends. Are those altruistic bombs, or market driven bombs?

tands said:
You brought up black folks being deprived of the blessings of competing in 'markets', unlike your white friends. Are those altruistic bombs, or market driven bombs?

I have no idea what your point is.

Latest posts

Back